What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling the dynon pitot mast

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I’ve done a search on here and saw a few references but I’m looking for specific hints on how to do this. I saw that I can drill into the thick metal in the probe because it is thick enough to accommodate a screw.

My question is what size drill and what size screw did you use and did you have to run a tap?

Yes, I used the recommend size drill for a hole to be tapped. I just don't remember the screw size, off hand. Yes, then tap the hole. The screws are in shear, not a lot of thread required. I think I used thread locker on them.

I’ve done a search on here and saw a few references but I’m looking for specific hints on how to do this. I saw that I can drill into the thick metal in the probe because it is thick enough to accommodate a screw.

My question is what size drill and what size screw did you use and did you have to run a tap?

Go to Lowes and get the #6 machine screw tap with pilot drill combo.

Carefully mark where to drill on the mast. Insert the pitot. Start with a #40 drill bit through the mast, then insert the pitot to do a small #40 hole to know where to drill and tap the screw holes. Pull out the pitot, drill and tap the pitot. Finish by enlarging the pitot mast holes to #28 (for the #6 screws).

Carl

Just be mindful of the caution in the instructions not to go too deep, or you might damage/nick/drill into the innards of the tubing and ruin the thing. I used a drill stop on the bit when I did mine.

Slow and steady she goes, and you'll be fine.

Back