Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-29-2020, 01:36 PM
been here awhile

Default SureFly feedback before I pull the trigger

Both mags on my carbed O-320 are due either 500+ hour inspection or overhaul. They both work fine but due to cost analysis I'm strongly considering replacing the impulse mag with a SureFly impulse ignition. I can purchase the SureFly for about the same expense as two overhauled Tempest Slicks. My lowest time mag (non-impulse) would get an inspection and light refreshing as necessary since it would be relegated to backup duty.

There is some SureFly feedback in the archives but not much current info. I would really appreciate field experience from RVers who are using this ignition. I intend to use it in fixed timing mode for simplicity--I don't fly enough hours to make an incremental saving in fuel burn a major factor.

Comments appreciated!
Old 01-29-2020, 02:01 PM

I haven't owned a SureFly but did stay at a Holiday Inn last night ...

The SureFly doesn't have a generator, it's uses ship power, and if you're installing two, it's required that you have a backup battery system in place so budget for that, could get expensive and complicated.

PMAGs, in comparison, have an internal generator, no secondary battery necessary, but are a few hundred dollars more than the SureFly.
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy

Last edited by bkervaski : 01-29-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:09 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
I haven't owned a SureFly but did stay at a Holiday Inn last night ...

The SureFly doesn't have a generator, it's uses ship power, and if you're installing two, it's required that you have a backup battery system in place so budget for that, could get expensive and complicated.

PMAGs, in comparison, have an internal generator, no secondary battery necessary, but are a few hundred dollars more than the SureFly.
As stated in my post......only going to replace the impulse mag.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
As stated in my post......only going to replace the impulse mag.
I need to stop replying to posts on my mobile without reading glasses .. .. been trying to cross the 50 yard line without needing them
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 01-29-2020, 03:00 PM

Default Not sure the prop you are using

Sam, apparently there has been an issue with the Surefly and "light-weight" props i.e. "kickback" on starting. My hangar neighbor had to return his Surefly because he has a Catto, and was getting the kick-back. There is a thread, somewhere on this from last Fall.

I do covet the Surefly for my impulse-side mag., just to make hot starts go a little easier.

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385 AP
Very Happy Contributor
Comm, SMEL, CFII, A&P
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 01-29-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSIM View Post
Sam, apparently there has been an issue with the Surefly and "light-weight" props i.e. "kickback" on starting. My hangar neighbor had to return his Surefly because he has a Catto, and was getting the kick-back. There is a thread, somewhere on this from last Fall.

I do covet the Surefly for my impulse-side mag., just to make hot starts go a little easier.

Ron
I also believe I read a post that had issues with getting TAC signal, but it might been more of complicated set op rather than an issue.
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - Out of Paint shop & flying
Dues paid
Old 01-30-2020, 04:40 AM

Quote:
I need to stop replying to posts on my mobile without reading glasses .. .. been trying to cross the 50 yard line without needing them
Give in to aging old man.... (as I put my cheaters on)

Sounds like a few good comments from Experience. I'm a SDS fan, but I always like the idea of self contained EI, like E-Mag (P-Mag), easier installation and self powered. EI is a choice and have pros and cons. The SureFly being STC it is less flexible and likely more conservative timing. I am surprised it kicks back light props, it should put out a hot TDC spark for start.... but this can be an issue with EI.

2021 Dues Paid

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 01-30-2020 at 04:51 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Ya, well, I got 3 days past the 40 yard line then I was done ....

RV-8 C-GURV (Flying since Nov 2004) - Sold
Scratch building 4pl Bearhawk (C-GPFG reserved)
Flying a '79 Maule M5-235C
Ex-military : Donated anyway (it's worth it)

President EAA 245 Ottawa, ON
Old 01-29-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
Both mags on my carbed O-320 are due either 500+ hour inspection or overhaul. They both work fine but due to cost analysis I'm strongly considering replacing the impulse mag with a SureFly impulse ignition. I can purchase the SureFly for about the same expense as two overhauled Tempest Slicks. My lowest time mag (non-impulse) would get an inspection and light refreshing as necessary since it would be relegated to backup duty.

There is some SureFly feedback in the archives but not much current info. I would really appreciate field experience from RVers who are using this ignition. I intend to use it in fixed timing mode for simplicity--I don't fly enough hours to make an incremental saving in fuel burn a major factor.

Comments appreciated!
How much does it cost to overhaul 2 mags? I should be there by the end of this year.
Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites & facilities for ALL visiting pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for my next experimental plane !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:54 PM

Default Surefly

Love mine! I have it on an IO-360 200hp and one slick. My engine runs better, my hot starts are significantly better because of it. It works well with my G3X touch system. I put a battery back up on it which was no big deal so it will run if I lose electrical. It is straight forward to install, super simple and has a TBO of 2400 hours. You can do the math on overhauling slicks every 500 hours. The support is great at helping you install it. When I got mine almost 2 years ago they shipped it set up for my engine. Pretty awesome.