Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Engine Monitors
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2021, 02:43 PM

Default GRT Engine Data Issue--Looking for Advice

Background--I have a GRT Sport SX and EIS6000. Typically, I'll pull the USB stick from the EFIS after 2-3 flights and download it to a laptop harddrive--either for submission to Savvy for analysis, or just to retain in case a problem of some sort were to arise and I want to look retroactively for when it might have begun.

The GRT stores two types of files. One is an Excel CSV file, named GRT Flight Data Log. I've not used that. It always seems to be about 30 MB in size, so I assume those 30 MB are the "last data", and anything earlier is overwritten--but I don't know that with certainty.

The other filetype is a text document. Those filenames start with DEMO, then the date, then a five digit number. Those files aren't much larger than 15 MB, which is limited by the amount of memory in the unit. When that filesize is reached, it writes to the memory stick, and starts a new file with the same name, and a +1, +2, +n... extension. For Savvy analyses, the DEMO files are zipped together and submitted.

I recently pulled the memory stick to download the latest files. The CSV file was there for the most recent flight, but there were no recent DEMO files. I removed and reinserted the USB stick, even though given that the CSV file was present, a poor connection there seemed unlikely. Also, the 1 GB memory stick is slightly less than half full, so it's not a capacity issue.

I contacted GRT, who have always been very helpful. They (Jeff) suggested it was a settings issue. Seemed unlikely, as I hadn't changed anything--although I had updated the NAV database. Nevertheless, I checked the settings menu, took a screenshot of that (attached), and sent it to GRT. It's set to automatically start recording as I exceed 40 KIAS, then stop when I've decelerated through 35 KIAS. Jeff replied that my settings looked OK, and that basically he had no additional ideas why the DEMO files weren't being written.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue, or have ideas on a cause and corrective action? I spoke with a hangar neighbor this AM who suggested re-loading the system software (after confirming that I have good records of settings of course). Before doing that, I thought I'd check with others who have GRT avionics to get their thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DEMO Settings Screeenshot.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	19981  
Old 12-21-2021, 03:52 PM

Trouble shooting rule #1: Always try easy stuff first, even if unlikely. Id try the download again, with a different memory stick. Preferably the one that came with the efis.
Old 12-21-2021, 04:19 PM

Default Thanks Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Trouble shooting rule #1: Always try easy stuff first, even if unlikely. Id try the download again, with a different memory stick. Preferably the one that came with the efis.
Thanks Bob. There is no download to retry unless I'm missing something. The EFIS writes to the stick (or should), then begins collecting the next dataset. The memory in the EFIS itself is volatile as I understand it--shutting down the EFIS effectively erases it. Memory stick is unchanged, but it's clearly "working", as the CSV file is "new" each flight.
Old 12-21-2021, 04:57 PM

Yes, I meant on a short flight. I doubt it's the problem, but an easy test. Otherwise, it's not obvious to me what the issue may be.
Edit: PS In he past, I have used Excel to look at the CSV files, if that's of interest to you.

Last edited by BobTurner : 12-21-2021 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-21-2021, 04:59 PM

Default Serial connection?

This may be a dumb question... but is the EIS6000 data displaying on the Sport SX? Perhaps you normally view it on the EIS only; in any case if the serial link between the EIS and the EFIS has failed then this could be a cause.
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, fuselage almost done, working on canopy.
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 12-21-2021, 07:36 PM

Something you might try, as a diagnostic, is to manually start and stop recording the Demo file rather than relying on airspeed. Just let it record for a few seconds and then stop the recording - no flights neccessary nor engine running needed. At least it will let you know that you're still able to write Demo files.

Regards,
Rob
Old 12-21-2021, 07:38 PM

I have Sport SX and EIS4000. It is my understanding DEMO files are such you can replay the flight on the SPORT SX and see speed, altitude, heading changes flying sitting still per looking at EFIS. The CSV is what loads to Savvy. There is a setting to turn off Demo files. I see a message when the DEMO file is written to ubs drive in panel. I delete them from my thumb drive, upload all other files to SAVVY.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:00 PM

Default I use this tool

I do not know why things changed on your GRT system, but I use this tool to look at my GRT data. In the spreadsheet, he describes how to setup your GRT to write both the demo file and CSV file to your usb. Good luck.

https://rv-14a.blogspot.com/2020/05/...-analysis.html
Granbury, Tx
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/WYQQ#history/assets
Old 12-22-2021, 05:03 AM

Page 139 in Sport manual describes these features.

Under Set Menu/ General Setup are the settings page

I would change from airspeed start and stop to RPM start and stop. This way you capture startup to shutdown. Your setup using airspeed MISSES capturing your run up, and all engine data until you are flying….you miss takeoff data capture, which i consider valuable.

FYI, this change makes no real noticeable storage volume difference. I would set USB FDL ALWAYS RECORD: YES.

I’ll see if I can’t get to hangar today and take pic of my settings

Good luck
Old 12-22-2021, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Yes, I meant on a short flight. I doubt it's the problem, but an easy test. Otherwise, it's not obvious to me what the issue may be.
Edit: PS In he past, I have used Excel to look at the CSV files, if that's of interest to you.
Thanks. I need to look more closely at options for saving the CSV data. As currently configured, it would seem that mine saves to a single filename, and is size limited. Between the two of those, I would lose data on long flights, and would also lose data if I made a second flight without having downloaded the previous one. Time to look at that settings menu more closely.

Do you know if Savvy can use the CSV files in their analyses programs?