What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intermittent EGT sensor

DavidHarris

Well Known Member
I'm having intermittent trouble with my #4 EGT sensor and am looking for advice on whether there might be a simple fix or if it's time to replace.

I'm doing my second condition inspection on a Vans RV7A with a Superior XPIO360 engine and dual pMags and a Dynon SkyView HDX with engine monitor. I've had intermittent trouble this year with the #4 EGT sensor displaying an X on the EMS. I have previously made it go away by unplugging and replugging the spade connector firewall forward linking the EGT probe to the EMS harness.

Last night replugging the spade connector made no difference, but wiggling the spring-like shield around the EGT probe just outside the exhaust line has restored normal operation. This sounds like a marginal connection near the probe tip.

Is there anything to try before buying and install a new probe?

Thank you!

David Harris

David,

This is a rather common failure mode for the Dynon probes. The very fine wire breaks inside the insulation, usually where there’s a sharp bend as it exits the probe. Unfortunately there’s no fix except to replace it…

..and when you do, also replace all the spade connectors with OLC-2, as the spades are another point of failure. It’s difficult to get a good crimp on that same fine wire.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/eioverlapolc-1-10-05470.php?clickkey=711794

Best,

Glenn

I'm having intermittent trouble with my #4 EGT sensor and am looking for advice on whether there might be a simple fix or if it's time to replace.

I'm doing my second condition inspection on a Vans RV7A with a Superior XPIO360 engine and dual pMags and a Dynon SkyView HDX with engine monitor. I've had intermittent trouble this year with the #4 EGT sensor displaying an X on the EMS. I have previously made it go away by unplugging and replugging the spade connector firewall forward linking the EGT probe to the EMS harness.

Last night replugging the spade connector made no difference, but wiggling the spring-like shield around the EGT probe just outside the exhaust line has restored normal operation. This sounds like a marginal connection near the probe tip.

Is there anything to try before buying and install a new probe?

Thank you!

David Harris

+1 Omega

I agree with RV7AFlyer.
I have over 500 trouble free hours since converting to the Omega Connectors.
Search for this - Erratic CHT and/or EGT ? December 2018. Omega details there.

Back