What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LA County taxes 2022

hgerhardt

Well Known Member
Those of us "lucky" enough to be in Los Angeles County probably noticed that our unsecured property tax bills went up substantially for 2022. My -6 is allegedly worth 75% more than it was assessed for last year, with a corresponding tax bump.

I called the assessor's office back when I got the bill and was told I could file an appeal (which costs $46) starting July 1 and try to plead my case. Of course you have to pay the full amount in 2022 and hopefully hear the ruling within 3 years...

Anyone here tried to file an appeal yet? And if so, would you mind sharing the contents of your appeal?

Heinrich

Curious

Those of us "lucky" enough to be in Los Angeles County probably noticed that our unsecured property tax bills went up substantially for 2022. My -6 is allegedly worth 75% more than it was assessed for last year, with a corresponding tax bump.

I called the assessor's office back when I got the bill and was told I could file an appeal (which costs $46) starting July 1 and try to plead my case. Of course you have to pay the full amount in 2022 and hopefully hear the ruling within 3 years...

Anyone here tried to file an appeal yet? And if so, would you mind sharing the contents of your appeal?

Heinrich
Is the value out of line with used plane prices?

Is the value out of line with used plane prices?

It's a -6 that's been flying for 15 years and 1000 hours. Their new number is higher than what I think it's worth, by about 25k I'd guess. Even with the recent run-up in prices asked.

It's a -6 that's been flying for 15 years and 1000 hours. Their new number is higher than what I think it's worth, by about 25k I'd guess. Even with the recent run-up in prices asked.

Asking prices mean nothing. You need to find actual selling prices. If you carry hull insurance, I ‘d start with your insurance broker. Ask him/her if your stated value is in line with current values. Get it in writing, send it to the assessor.

It's not just LA county. Placer county increased the value of my -9A to $115,000 raising my taxes from $650 to $1100. While I don't like paying more taxes, I also can't say the value is out of line. It's just kind of a shock to take that hit all at once.

Move to Texas! :D

Unless you register the aircraft in any kind of entity, including general partnership, LLC, PLC, corporation or even DBA. Then the Texas local appraisal district will charge excise tax. If an airplane partnership such as "ACME Little Giant Flying Club, LLC" is non-profit they can appeal to their local appraisal review board and explain themselves and they *might* get respite from excise tax.

Back