What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is this a leaking gas tank rivet?

tom paul

I haven't seen any drips, but this one rivet looks very much like it has been leaking. I know there are many threads on this topic, and it seems like the first thing to do is to clean it up and put on some green locktite.
Am I thinking about this the right way?

Attachments

• Leaky Gas Tank Rivet.jpg
    Leaky Gas Tank Rivet.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 272
Is that bare aluminum (looks like it, and I see your profile pic)? Whole lot of brown there, not the tell-tale blue of a leak (if you're using 100LL). It seems to me someone played with it already, looks like maybe some external proseal. I would maybe gently clean it up, avoiding the area right by the rivet, and see if any blue streaking presents itself before anything else. Sleeping dogs and all that.

Good point!

Yes, I didn't think of that, but now that you mention it, I think it was "sealed" before. It is polished, bare aluminum, yes. I am happy to leave sleeping dogs undisturbed, as life is busy enough. I will clean it and watch out for any new leaking.
Thanks for the reply!

Alternative solution

Yes, I didn't think of that, but now that you mention it, I think it was "sealed" before. It is polished, bare aluminum, yes. I am happy to leave sleeping dogs undisturbed, as life is busy enough. I will clean it and watch out for any new leaking.
Thanks for the reply!

The green locktight didnt work over the long term for me, but clean the rivet with acetone and put a little dab of JB weld on it.....seems to work well for me and a few others....and it will sand out smooth as well...

Back