What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Storage

abaden

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on canopy storage in a two car garage. Options seem to be hang from the ceiling, or perhaps stand on one end against a wall and attach to the wall. Not being familiar with the structural engineering properties of composite parts, I am concerned that standing on one end could weaken parts of the structure that might not be made to take that load. Does this seem like a reasonable concern? What have others done?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Alex

Storage

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on canopy storage in a two car garage. Options seem to be hang from the ceiling, or perhaps stand on one end against a wall and attach to the wall. Not being familiar with the structural engineering properties of composite parts, I am concerned that standing on one end could weaken parts of the structure that might not be made to take that load. Does this seem like a reasonable concern? What have others done?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Alex

Ideally, fiberglass parts shouldnbe stored right side up on the square edges. Not always possible. They can change shaoe with time. A cradle hung from the ceiling would hold the shape pretty well. Standing on end might work provided the edge is square and it's not leaning. Just my humble opinion.

Not familiar with the RV-10 canopy. But I stored my RV-4 canopy on an old closet door hung from the ceiling with 4 straps.

Finn

I wouldn't over analyze it. A thousand of 'em have been finished and nobody I remember ever had huge complaints about a cabin top that distorted in storage.

As I recall, I stored mine like you mentioned - up against a wall resting on one end.

If you have the height, get a kayak holder hoist thingy and mount to the ceiling. Hoist your canopy on the lift. When the time comes to work on attaching the canopy to the fuselage you can use the hoist to lower and lift the canopy. Beats having to get a buddy everytime.

Keith

Back