What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Commercial Rating - RV-10 Maneuvers

AV8ER

Well Known Member
Hello VAF,

I took a flight with a CFI in my -10 last week to get started working on the maneuvers for my commercial ticket. Unfortunately he was of little use in the -10. I was hopeful someone would have a some tips and tricks. Preferred power settings, etc. for this task. When we took off I did not have a maneuver checklist thinking that he would have the knowledge to guide me through the maneuvers. My new plan is to create a checklist for each maneuver to take with me while I practice myself. Any knowledge you can provide is appreciated. Here is my rough draft based on what I found here.

Thanks,

Tim

Steep Turns
clearing turn
50 deg Bank
2500 MSL
MP 23 / RPM 25 105 – 110 KT

Steep Spiral
Clearing turn
5000 MSL
do not exceed 60* bank power off 25 MP
70 – 80 KT

Chandells
clearing turn
2500 MSL (1500 AGL) 25 MP 25 RPM
Light VA 118kias entry speed

Lazy Eights
clearing turn
3000 MSL (1500 AGL) 18 MP 25 RPM

Eights on Pylons
clearing turns
Pivotal Altitude 2000 – 2200 MSL (GS x GS / 11.3 = PA + elevation) 20 MP 25 RPM
Light VA 118kias entry speed

Slow Flight
clearing turn
MCA 55 KT
2500 MSL
flaps down

Power-off Stalls
clearing turns
landing configuration
Entry altitude 3000 MSL 1500 AGL power off
recover at the onset
recovery 20 degrees of flaps first

Power-on Stalls
clearing turn
take off configuration
2500 MSL 1500 AGL
65 KT
recover at onset (buffeting)

Accelerated Stalls
clearing turn
4000 MSL 3000 AGL
45* bank
entry speed 65 KT
recover at onset (buffeting)

180 Power Off Accuracy Landing
position on downwind
not more than 1000′ AGL (1937 MSL)
GUMPS
touchdown within 200′ of specified touchdown point

Short Field Takeoff and Landing
0 degrees flaps
Vx till obstacle cleared Vy after obstacle cleared

Soft Field Takeoff and Landing
20 degrees flaps
don’t slow down
lift nose wheel asap
on landing – maintain power so as not to bog down

I got my CFI ticket in my -10, so I had to do all these. PM me you email and I’ll send you my flight maneuver sheets I made for them.

Would it be out of line to suggest that you spend some time exploring these maneuvers on your own in order to gain the proficiency and experience with your aircraft?

Not trying to jam you, but it seems to me that the point of a rating is the learning that happens before the check ride. Way back the phrase "live by the gouge, die by the gouge" was a stern warning to those who didn't take the time to gain the full insight into their craft. ("the gouge" being slang for the inside scoop, or Cliff notes on a subject)

Looks like you have all the parameters on the maneuvers you'll need to perform to for a passing grade, now it's time to head out there and do some perfect practice. This may have been what your CFI was trying to tell you all along.

Good luck on your ride

Would it be out of line to suggest that you spend some time exploring these maneuvers on your own in order to gain the proficiency and experience with your aircraft?

Not trying to jam you, but it seems to me that the point of a rating is the learning that happens before the check ride. Way back the phrase "live by the gouge, die by the gouge" was a stern warning to those who didn't take the time to gain the full insight into their craft. ("the gouge" being slang for the inside scoop, or Cliff notes on a subject)

Looks like you have all the parameters on the maneuvers you'll need to perform to for a passing grade, now it's time to head out there and do some perfect practice. This may have been what your CFI was trying to tell you all along.

Good luck on your ride

Thanks for the insight Bill. There is no doubt that these maneuvers will take lots of stick time to master. What I am after is a base reference point to start out the maneuvers in the -10. Few instructors around my parts have flown in a -10 and before I waste another flight letting someone else (in this case the CFI) practice his flying in my -10 I'm looking to take a self guided tour and hone my craft. My instructor apologized for not being able to perform the maneuvers himself to demonstrate what they should look like when properly executed.

The insurance company is a bit of a hassle as they require each CFI to meet their requirements to be PIC with hours in a -10. Found this out before my IFR training. Not sure if the instructor would be PIC for the commercial training or not so maybe a non issue for this rating?

Your point is well received and thanks for the insight,

Tim

It’s not a bad idea to have someone familiar with all the maneuvers go out with you and display them and then go by yourself to practice ….

Tim, glad you took all those comments the "right way". I was concerned later that it might have come across a little too brutal!

Another thought to ponder ... what if in your check ride the instructor asked you to do any one of those maneuvers partial panel? No airspeed, or no engine instruments etc. You should at lease feel confident enough to make a good go at it, and not need to depend on your gouge.

Keep up the good work, you'll be happy you did!

Cheers

A few comments.
1. Keep in mind that your checksheet is geographically dependent: all the MSL altitudes need changing if you’re in AZ, for example. Maybe make them all AGL if giving it to others.
2. I agree with a comment above: make sure someone agrees that you understand what these should look like, before a lot of practice. Unlearning a maneuver that’s being done improperly doubles the time.
3. There is no reason the cfi must be PIC here. I myself have given dual where it was agreed I would not be PIC (limited time in specific aircraft type). My role was to critique, evaluate, offer suggestions. Most pilots can be talked thru these maneuvers. But of course, practice them on the ground, with a model, first.
4. I wouldn’t worry about partial panel. If the airspeed quits, the proper response is ‘The airplane is no longer properly equipped for this. We should return to base.’ Any decent examiner will expect this.

Also

You may want to study the visualized flight maneuvers handbook to help with doing the maneuvers correctly; practicing what you think they should look like and not what they are supposed to look like will result in negative training…

You may want to study the visualized flight maneuvers handbook to help with doing the maneuvers correctly; practicing what you think they should look like and not what they are supposed to look like will result in negative training…

Bob,

Is this the handbook you are referencing?

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/airplane_handbook/media/00_afh_full.pdf

Bill and Bob, I agree, short field takeoff has 15-20 degrees flaps. Landing has full.

Back