What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Problem with GDL-82

flybill7

Well Known Member
So I installed a new GDL-82 in my RV-7 a little over 2 1/2 years ago and it has worked great since. But recently it stopped working. I plugged a laptop to it and ran the GDL 8X Install Tool. It turns out that the Internal GPS is not working -- the 15 GPS Satellite Status channels are all greyed out (not ready). It is showing a Position (GPS) Input fault. On the GPS Source field, the "Internal" option isn't available (greyed out). Everything else looks fine with it: interface to transponder, anonymous switch.

So I'm thinking that maybe the antenna (the Garmin antenna which came with the GDL-82 and mounted under the cowl by the firewall) went bad, or maybe the internal GPS chip in the brain box went bad.

I called Garmin but they want $475 to look at the brain box if I send it in.

Anybody have this sort of problem before and if so, what did you do to resolve it?

Any thoughts on what might be wrong with it?

Regards,
Bill

Do the easy thing first, swap out the GPS antenna with your best buddy s . Although the price of those antennas are not to different than the min base repair that Garmin offers. Maybe that will give you some troubleshooting direction. Good luck

My bet is on the antenna or cable (antennas do not belong in the engine compartment no matter how folks say theirs works fine there).

Back