What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need product review, Static Tire Balancer

Freemasm

Well Known Member
My friend asked me about this. Not sure he needs it but I told him I'd ask since there's no on-line reviews.

Background: His Texas Skyways (big engine STC) 182 is eating tires. He's looking for ways to extend their life. He's not being a CB. He flies a lot of Young Eagle flights for the EAA here in Orlando so lots of taxiing and lots of TOLs. I asked and he's not feeling any shimmy on take off. Yes, if something is way out of balance, the tires could be touching down on the same spot each time compounding the issue.

Anyone have any reviews for this "static" balancer?

https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/articles/aircraft-wheel-balancer/

Much thanks and I'll pass along the replies. Scott F

I use the Herbor Freight one also. Had to take the first one back as it had a bad bearing but second one works perfectly.

Thanks, to date. If anyone could expand on their processes/techniques, I'm sure it would be appreciated.

After takeoff when the tire speed is highest can he feel them out of balance? If not it may be pilot technique, to much brakes, to high take off and or touchdown speed.

I use the Harbor Freight one and after I have the weights placed where I think they should go I spin the wheel/tire up using a drill motor just to see if it gets all jumpy on me. It's worked very well.

C182 eating tires is due to main gear alignment, not balance. Shimmy can cause the nosewheel tire to wear unevenly. Shimmy is normally fixed by shimming the steering collar.

C182 eating tires is due to main gear alignment, not balance. Shimmy can cause the nosewheel tire to wear unevenly. Shimmy is normally fixed by shimming the steering collar.

Thanks. That's already been done, I'm told. Of course, it doesn't mean it was done right.

Thanks for the other comments as well. Will pass them along

McFarlane's Tire Balancer is Patented.

The McFarlane Tire balancer allows you to adjust its sensitivity to a level of extreme accuracy. The design is so unique, it's patented. The secret is the adjustable balance point. Because the tire is horizontal while balancing, determining the correct amount of weight is faster and more accurate than the trial method required with other balancers. It's simple to use and doesn't take up much room to store. It does not require the removal of the bearings or the seals to balance the tire/wheel assembly. Attachments are also available to convert your wheel balancer to a static prop balancer.

Junk wheel balancer and still have the shimmy

I bought one of these off of Amazon for $88.00 cdn and it was junk. 3 of the 4 bearings felt like there was sand in them and I had to replace with new ones sourced locally.

The shaft had a slight bend in it, maybe .010+ run out and had to be replaced.

The one cone was drilled off center and I took it to a machine shop to be trued out.

So another $150 worth of parts and shop time and I was able to balance my wheels on my RV 4.

And the shimmy is still there.:mad::mad:

Tim

Back