What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV14 Engine Install

77bonanza

Is there anything I should install on the firewall before installing the engine, other than what Van instructs. I'm now ready to install the engine.

Have you decided if your going to insulate the firewall ? If so I would do that before you install the engine mount.

No, is this something I should be considering and if so, what type material and where do you get it?

Thanks.

No, is this something I should be considering and if so, what type material and where do you get it?

Thanks.

Start at post 320 here to get an idea how it can be done. DanH was the one who really pioneered the best approach with his testing on different materials. Search his name to find the testing if you would like. Hope this helps.

I was thinking more in the line of additional items that would be easier to install now rather than waiting to do them after the engine is installed.

Have many of you installed noise/fire barriers on the firewall?

I wish I had installed the 60A and 40A ANL fuses (for the primary and backup alternators) and shunts (to measure amperage) before hanging the engine. I did not install a fire barrier on the firewall

_Alex

1. Air oil separator, if you want one (I’m glad I did).
2. Shunt on battery lead (if you want current to/from battery.
3. Extra firewall penetration for tunnel vent cable (required on EXP119 engine, optional in other configurations)

I do not believe I will install a noise/fire barrier to the firewall. I appreciate the suggestions for installing items before engine install.

other accesories

Think about other accessories. Not sure about the -14, but some things I considered was firewall mounted oil cooler, oil filter 90 degree adapter on engine, B&C alternator on vac pad of engine, oil lines attached to back of engine fittings.

Back