What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moab

JonJay

Well Known Member
Headed to Moab. Looking at landing and keeping the RV at Canyonlands.
Interested in any feedback from others that have stayed in this area.

It was fine

We did it a few years ago. It was hot 110-115, but was a great trip. If you put in a gas order, verify it gets done. Ours was not done late the night before our sunrise departure. We had to get the guy filling the airliner to do it for us when we were loading the plane.

We rented an old camry from a local guy who left it at the airport and it worked out great.

Awesome hiking and scenery!! Reflective sunshades for the canopy recommended.....

Canyonlands

Stayed at that airport in 2011. Nice place. Sorta warm but a very beautiful area. People there were great. If I remember correctly, there was a group of students that had come to visit the area parks, so there were a lot of people in the FBO when we arrived. We enjoyed their excitement.

I landed at Canyonlands Airport last August and stayed overnight in Moab which is 18 miles away from the airport. So you need transportation. "Arches Repair Services" keeps a couple rental cars at the airport. You call them up, they tell you were the keys are, you drive into town and stop by their office. Very reasonable rates ($50/day or so). There is also a rental car agency in the airport terminal but you must have reservations. A lot of tourists fly into the airport and there is a good chance no rental cars will be available unless you have a reservations. I think you can rent 4-wheel drive jeeps also, which you might need to go into the Canyonlands National Park. Arches NP is just outside Moab and is a must-do. Arches is better seen from the ground than the air. Canyonlands is the opposite -- better seen from the air than the ground. The scenery from the air in this eastern Utah area is magnificent -- best I've ever seen! Have fun.

Last edited:
..... Canyonlands is the opposite -- better seen from the air than the ground. The scenery from the air in this eastern Utah area is magnificent -- best I've ever seen! Have fun.

Same with Bryce Canyon 120 miles to the SE, see it from the air...

We did it a few years ago. It was hot 110-115, but was a great trip. If you put in a gas order, verify it gets done. Ours was not done late the night before our sunrise departure. We had to get the guy filling the airliner to do it for us when we were loading the plane.

We rented an old camry from a local guy who left it at the airport and it worked out great.

Awesome hiking and scenery!! Reflective sunshades for the canopy recommended.....
Pete's previous thread has been bookmarked in my browser for some time. Definitely on my bucket list! I copy everything Pete does :D, so I'll get to it sooner or later!
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=101336&highlight=moab

Great place

Jon, CNY and Moab are great, but be careful of the wind. We went in March, 2014. My last leg was Santa Fe to CNY. They were predicting high winds in the afternoon so we got an early start. About an hour after we landed it was blowing 60 knts. I raced back to the airport and found my gust lock had let go and my rudder banging. Glad we arrived before the wind or we would have needed an alternate. Enterprise car rental was very helpful. John

I made a trip out to the area last year and stayed at Page, Az. It was very centrally located for flying the lake, Grand Canyon, Arches, Bryce, Zion, Monument Valley, Canyonlands (and Vegas). Fuel was the cheapest around and the hotel was in walking distance but they were happy to come get us or drop us off anytime we asked and the FBo's offered free rides to the hotel too. Plenty of places to eat in walking distance too.

I cant wait to go back!!

We stayed at the Red Cliffs Lodge. Highly recommend it, right on the river.
They have a website. We reserved a car, don't remember which rental company.
Great time and incredible scenery.

Back