What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phase 1 - 2nd pilot (not additional)

dreed

Well Known Member
I think I am pretty familiar with the APP program and have used it a couple of times. I had another pilot fly my plane a few times during Phase 1 and have performed the same for another pilot buddy.

Another pilot asked if I'd be able/willing to fly some of the in his aircraft. Another pilot told us that this was not legal, that only the builder (or one pilot) can fly off the phase 1 testing/40 hours.

I am pretty sure he was wrong, but if a you are a qualified pilot (per advisory AC 90-116) and on the insurance of course, can't you do some of phase 1 in a plane you didn't build/aren't an owner.

Not even sure I am going to have time, but wanted to verify before I even consider it.

thanks

https://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/advisory_circular/ac_90-116.pdf

I think I am pretty familiar with the APP program and have used it a couple of times. I had another pilot fly my plane a few times during Phase 1 and have performed the same for another pilot buddy.

Another pilot asked if I'd be able/willing to fly some of the in his aircraft. Another pilot told us that this was not legal, that only the builder (or one pilot) can fly off the phase 1 testing/40 hours.

I am pretty sure he was wrong, but if a you are a qualified pilot (per advisory AC 90-116) and on the insurance of course, can't you do some of phase 1 in a plane you didn't build/aren't an owner.

Not even sure I am going to have time, but wanted to verify before I even consider it.

thanks

https://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/advisory_circular/ac_90-116.pdf
You can fly time off any plane your qualified in. Someone is giving you bad info. Builder owner has nothing to do with the pilot. Mike

As Michael said, anyone qualified to fly the aircraft may pilot an experimental airplane during phase I.

Mel beat me to it, and he's right. When only one pilot is in the airplane, it can be any pilot who meets the requirements of the FAA regulations and the aircraft's operating limitations. There is no requirement that it be the builder only. In fact, it's often best to have other experienced pilots fly the aircraft. They can remove the emotion and give good dispassionate feedback on the aircraft's pros and cons.

Back