What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Multi-meter suggestions

Freemasm

Well Known Member
I have a Tandy/Radio Shack digital MM I've used since the late 80's. It has handled the abuse from me for decades but the display backlight is out and unreadable in most environments. I've had a couple of Kleins from HD for AC home project related stuff but they failed (in-range failures, the worst) were unreliable after a a coupe of uses.

Way too much "stuff" of cheap quality available from teh usual commercial sites. Suggestions for a multi-meter that you've had real experience with?

Thanks

I found the standard, cheap Harbor Freight meter will do everything needed for an RV build, and then some. I have 3-4 dispersed in the various tool boxes.

But - when I really want to measure something in the radio room with precision, I use the Heathkit VTVM I built when I was 14.

If you just want the best and don’t care about cost, Fluke is the product. It is almost as good as my 50+ year old VTVM…..

Carl

You know what they say…. “If it works, it must be a Fluke!” ;)

My most recent is a Klein, replacing a no-name Fluke clone I had for probably 25 years.

(Fluke was the only multimeter in the Space Shuttle tool kit BTW)

Paul

Fluke

Fluke but funny thing is I don't own one. Used them at work and my trusty old DVM is still trukin'.
Not a fan of the Harbor Fright.

I love my Fluke but can only afford one of them. I keep it at my hanger. I use the cheap china junk at my two homes. They work good,, but I don't trust them for anything other than basic voltage and continuity checks.

I'v used fluke meters for most of my measurement taking life. I had one that lasted 25 years. Eventually the LCD starting going south, but the unit still worked. The newer Fluke meters are shock protected and come in a variety of models. I find the continuity beeper a valuable feature so you might want to consider that on your feature list. I have a couple of Flukes currently. One is a lower end small model and the other is more full featured. Both work well. This is not to say that most of the other meters won't work good enough.

Fluke is the gold standard here. However the AstroAI true RMS units are $30 and are 95% as capable as a $500-600 Fluke is for DC purposes. I wouldn’t rely on it for industrial use or high voltage AC. For the things you’ll need: continuity, voltage, resistance, capacitance, temperature, and the occasional diode check it’ll get the job done.

You can afford two homes----but only one good VOM?

If I filled the hanger and both homes with top shelf tools, I couldn't afford the second home. I have to be frugal until I can convince my wife to sell the main home and move up to the lake house where I hanger the plane.:eek:

I found the standard, cheap Harbor Freight meter will do everything needed for an RV build, and then some. I have 3-4 dispersed in the various tool boxes.
Carl

Same here. I have a box of Harbor Fright meters I accumulated when they gave them away with a coupon. I'm usually just measuring coarse voltages and continuity and they are fine for that....and disposable if one gets stepped on. When somebody wants to borrow a meter I just just hand them a cheapy and tell them they can keep it, I have several scattered around the airport. :)

Yep........

Same here. I have a box of Harbor Fright meters I accumulated when they gave them away with a coupon. I'm usually just measuring coarse voltages and continuity and they are fine for that....and disposable if one gets stepped on. When somebody wants to borrow a meter I just just hand them a cheapy and tell them they can keep it, I have several scattered around the airport. :)

If you need a good multimeter, then you need a good multimeter.

But...As Sam says, Most of what we measure, day to day, is course voltage, resistance, or continuity. For these uses, the Harbor Freight units are great. And if you destroy it, you haven't lost anything.

Fluke all day, every day. They take an beating and stay in cal. I use them at work and bought my personal one 23 years ago and works as good as the day I bought it. 2nd pair of leads though. :)

You can get their base models for under $200 which is all you need for house and airplane.

Last edited:
HF freebies in tool bags that travel or get forgotten. Craftsman (just because all my other hand tools are Craftsman) in more permanent locations: one at the hangar, one in the garage, etc. I buy the ones that include a thermocouple for temperature measurements, because I charge old air conditioners occasionally. But all I measure is line voltage / resistance in vehicles and buildings, I was rejected when I applied to be a spacecraft mechanic. :)

PSM-6, carried one for uncle Sam and it worked flawlessly.:)
Until you drop one on your toes. I remember those things weighed more than a wheelbarrow full of bricks. Accurate and reliable, but big and heavy. :eek:
---------------------
Having spent a career (47yrs) working on electronics I have to admit Fluke is the best brand out there. HOWEVER, I recently purchased a $39.95 talking digital multimeter from MPJA and absolutely love it. Especially when contorted under the instrument panel and my old eyes can't really see what the DMM is displaying. Having it tell me what I am measuring is an awesome feature. Besides, it is way more than accurate for anything we do.

I highly recommend it.

:cool:

Last edited:
Calibrated free Harbor Freight.

There's a pot inside, I calibrate against my old Radio Shack and Craftsman for the specific voltage range I want.

You can even calibrate the amp meter (not milliamp) by playing with the solder connections of the internal shunt bar.

And you don't feel bad when lose them, break them or they just fail..............

Fluke issues !

I bought one and the leads did not make good contact in the case. They said it was the cheap one made for china. So returned it for the universal “maintenance tech” model, $175 and you have to twist and wiggle the lead in the case with variable success every time. So, beware, Fluke may not live up to expectations earned in the past 😒

Just a data point on the Harbor Freight multimeters. I have several and one has definitely failed. It doesn't read 0 Ohms with both probes connected.
For basic, non-fancy operations like continuity and resistance readings they are adequate.

Just a data point on the Harbor Freight multimeters. I have several and one has definitely failed. It doesn't read 0 Ohms with both probes connected.
For basic, non-fancy operations like continuity and resistance readings they are adequate.

Most of the time it's the leads not the meter................

I have a couple of HB multimeters and a Sun device that includes dwell angle but the one I use most is a Southwire 11050N. It is a better quality auto-ranging meter and they are available on ebay for less than $30.

Along with a half dozen Fluke's I have the newer 'industrial' version of the infamous Simpson 260, they actually still come in handy occasionally as they're low impedance input and will load down the circuit just enough to eliminate 'noise'. A must have for any tech worth his salt if for no other reason than nostalgia :D I need to get an original black one to keep it company.

i-r44NVhv-L.jpg

Last edited:
Back