What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

voltage meter

jask

Well Known Member
First time I have flown in my rv6a and I noticed the voltage meter fluctuating about twice per second between about 13.5 and 14.5. What is causing this?

Could be what is called a galloping alternator. Caused by resistance in the alternator/voltage regulator circuitry causing fluctuating voltage. It happens more often in older aircraft as oxidation creates resistance in various connections in the system. My RV-6 developed it about 5 years ago and a new alternator switch plus cleaning all of the connections in the charging system corrected it.

But, before I went too far down the rabbit hole, I'd get a cheap digital voltage gauge off of amazon and plug it into your 12V receptacle, assuming you have one of those. I'd use it to verify your readings.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Zeltauto-Cig...=plug+in+voltage+gauge&qid=1636853768&sr=8-10

Do you have a plane power alt? They seem to have a lot of problems with the connector. Following Kyles advice, this is where I would start if you have one.

Larry

voltage

I'll look at it today. It is very regular. Starts to charge then something causes it to stop. Then the cycle begins again.

Back