What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Conduit bottlenecks

Weefle

Well Known Member
I’m at the stage where I am installing conduits in the fuselage from back to front. Did a search and I could only come up with threads discussing how many etc. So here’s my question?
I added 3x3/4” per side but when you get to the spar both the vertical bulkheads are the choke points for getting through to the firewall side. I have a lot of stuff happening in the back like O2, static line, remote transponder, tail strobe, coax for antennas etc.

What has everyone else done to get through this area?

Pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Keith

Conduits

If I built another -10, I would run a conduit through the tunnel. I added a couple of holes at the choke point and ran some wiring in the overhead console…

Conduit

Here's what I did. I basically copied another guy who is on his second build. It gives me 4 conduits to the baggage bulkhead, 1 to each wing root, and 1 that runs all the way to the top of the VS for the VOR/ILS antenna. I can't find a picture with the rear seat pans removed so I scribbled the approximate layout. I'm nearing completion and have used ALL of these conduits. This has made pulling wire a piece of cake. Hope this helps

Attachments

• Conduit.jpg
    Conduit.jpg
    829.3 KB · Views: 511
  • Conduit2.jpg
    Conduit2.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 396
I ran mine similar to Wes. I talked to Van's engineering and they allowed me to add holes in the side ribs to run additional conduits & hoses (for A/C) so long as I maintained reasonable spacing between the holes. I then ran power wires (lights, main battery, pitot, etc. up the left side, and used the right side conduits for lower current wires (G3X shielded twisted pairs, coax, CAN bus, etc), in order to isolated them from potential RFI/EMI produced by the higher current wires.

So far, I have a fully functioning RV-10 with no noise problems!

front side panel lower area recess potential gotcha

When running conduit and fat wires through the front seat side panel area, keep in mind that your interior side panel lower recess may need more depth / room there. I wasn't thinking about that during early wiring time and got lucky to have backside clearance.

Here's what I did. I basically copied another guy who is on his second build. It gives me 4 conduits to the baggage bulkhead, 1 to each wing root, and 1 that runs all the way to the top of the VS for the VOR/ILS antenna. I can't find a picture with the rear seat pans removed so I scribbled the approximate layout. I'm nearing completion and have used ALL of these conduits. This has made pulling wire a piece of cake. Hope this helps

Thanks Wes!..
I’ve seen a very similar layout on a builders blog. I’ll shamlesly copy this route. I’ll have to drill some .90 holes in the Center section bulkheads to feed them through.

Thanks for all the replies....much appreciated

Keith

Remember that the main battery wire needs a very straight run. It will be near impossible to run that wire in a 3/4” conduit with any sort of bends.

I borrowed the drawings for the Vans -10 wiring kit and it showed their recommended path. It was the only useful thing on those plans.

You need to run the wire in the lowest holes when going by the door opening and keep it low until near the firewall. If you put it higher holes, your wires going to the back of the fuselage will have to cross the #2.

That wire is the first one you need to put in, all other wires are easy to route around things.

Conduits and Air Conditioning

Any examples of running all of these conduits AND air conditioning hoses are greatly appreciated!

Pictures are especially helpful.

Living in Fresno with summers that seem to last forever! and that means 100 plus temps.

Drilling through spars or bulkheads is not something I want to do.

Any of you who have done air-conditioning:
Did you use the tunnel? And were holes added to any structures?
OR, were you able to run the hoses through the side wall?

Thanks much!

Back