What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Aileron pushrod throw

recapen

Well Known Member
I am planning to re-use the RV-10/14 electric aileron trim in a non-10/14 application.
In order to retain the original motion and torque requirements, I want to make sure that I am implementing it in a similar manner.

Can someone measure the full pushrod movement of the aileron tubes…? Either at the base of the stick, bellcrank, or where you have installed the aileron trim in your 10/14… Based on the installation instructions, the springs are to attach to brackets on the tube 6” to either side of the center point directly above the trim motor. That implies that the motion should be less than 6” in either direction to ensure spring tension throughout the throw range.

Since I have received no responses, is there anyone in the Mid-Atlantic area with a RV-10 that would allow me to perform the measurements?

I am planning to re-use the RV-10/14 electric aileron trim in a non-10/14 application.
In order to retain the original motion and torque requirements, I want to make sure that I am implementing it in a similar manner.

Can someone measure the full pushrod movement of the aileron tubes…? Either at the base of the stick, bellcrank, or where you have installed the aileron trim in your 10/14… Based on the installation instructions, the springs are to attach to brackets on the tube 6” to either side of the center point directly above the trim motor. That implies that the motion should be less than 6” in either direction to ensure spring tension throughout the throw range.

That is true, less than 6" either way. I might be able to get to the hangar today and measure it but I think the actual pushrod likely doesn't move even half that distance...

Hopefully, we'll get a confirmation from Bob!
Then I can get to work installing this in my 6A...

Thanks!

Sorry

Sorry I haven't gotten to an update; I have some elderly parent issues that came up over the last two weeks...

...and I got evicted from my hangar...I will try to get to it later this week but no promises...again, sorry.

Take care of family first - sorry to hear about the hangar!
Hopefully, they didn't just throw the stuff out on the apron.....

nah

Privately owned, public airport was sold; new owner needs all the hangar space for his business...luckily, I have been on hangar lists in the area for years and my name came up...

Sorry...

Lost MIL end of October, lost FIL beginning of December...haven't been to airport really at all. Lots of stuff to deal with right now...

going one step more, can anyone tell me how far the total travel of the elevator pushrod is? And Merry Christmas everyone!
Thanks,
Mark

Stick Travel

At the base of the stick, from extreme left to extreme right, travel is just shy of 3-1/2 inches but the wings are not attached. When I measured the travel of the pushrod in the wing, the bell crank to which the stick ultimately connects moved 3-1/8 inches. There may be other limiting factors but it seems travel of the pushrod is at most 3-1/8". Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Stick travel L.jpg
    Stick travel L.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Stick travel R.jpg
    Stick travel R.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 126
That implies that the motion should be less than 6” in either direction to ensure spring tension throughout the throw range.

Not exactly, it is installed with both springs in light tension and the 6" ensure that your pushrod does not bottom out on the trim spring and hinder aileron movement.
FWIW, the spring biased trim system works very well on the ailerons.

Back