What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bandsaw for Metal Cutting?

GeneralT001

In a lot of the videos I'm watching I see a Ryobi bandsaw being used to cut the aluminum. Is that the way to go or so I need a bandsaw more specific for aluminum...it seems you need a slower speed for metal and a higher speed for wood?

Virtually any bandsaw made for wood will work if you pair it with a good blade. Aluminum is very easy to cut, especially given how thin the aluminum in kits tends to be. There’s no reason to get a metal cutting bandsaw.

Yeah, I use a quality wood blade for the alloys Vans uses. The softer, not heat treated will get hotter and cause trouble for larger pieces. I used a single blade for nearly my entire 7 build. The main point of issue is collection of aluminum bits on the blade tire. It increases blade tension. I regularly clean the tire with an aluminum scraper. A vacuum helps but not a cure on my brands.

Virtually any bandsaw made for wood will work if you pair it with a good blade. Aluminum is very easy to cut, especially given how thin the aluminum in kits tends to be. There’s no reason to get a metal cutting bandsaw.

Correct

Aluminum is a soft enough metal that it can be worked with most any tool that would be used on wood.

We cut 1 inch thick 6061 and 7075 aluminum plate using carbide toothed blades on a table saw and using a skill saw.

Well, unless you are a tool guy and want to cut other metals besides aluminum!:D

I converted a HF 14" wood bandsaw to a metal bandsaw, works great!

Bought this 30 years ago from a small furniture factory that was closing, came with a large bundle of bandsaw blades that I still use. Thickest I've cut with this is 1.5" 7075 aluminum, slow going but got it done. Tried metal cutting blades on it but kept clogging up on aluminum, reverted back to the course wood blades.
I also have a hand held bandsaw for cut offs, similar to the ones sold at HF.

Attachments

• bandsaw2.jpg
    bandsaw2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 209
  • bandsaw1.jpg
    bandsaw1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
It takes about 90 seconds to switch between a wood blade and metal blade on my band saw.

Metal blades last a long time cutting thin aluminum.
It's the blade, not the saw.

Bandsaw

I used a light duty desktop bandsaw with a metal blade, but after changing to a SWAG PORTABAND table with a HF portable bandsaw, it was a game changer for me. Was cheaper and much better suited for cutting metal. $12 foot pedal and you have a very capable bandsaw setup.

Question
Do you need a band saw for a quick build 14 kit?

No. A hacksaw or a jigsaw or a rotary cut-off tool (dremel or equivalent) will do the job. Not quite as fast, but without consuming much shop space or budget as a bandsaw.

There isn't a lot of angle or plate that needs cutting in the current kits.

Back