What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trimming lenses for W-715-1 wingtips

jtaylor747FE

I'm New Here
When I purchased my 1993 RV-6 earlier this year, the seller included an unfinished set of W-715-1 wingtips. I've now finished the light kit and have separated the clear lens blank from Van's into two significantly oversize pieces. I would greatly appreciate any tips, guidance or suggestions anyone may have on how to trim these lenses to size without damaging them. Rather than reply to this post, please send your comments to me a [email protected]. Thanks in advance.

Relatively soft plastic that melts easily. I cut close with a band saw, then trimmed to the line with a hand plane. Worked ok. I understand some have used shears with success. Good luck.

I use my dremel saw max to cut it and then used 80 grit block sanding. Sanding them things even with 80 grit took forever.

Dremel

I used a Dremel tool with a cutting disk (about inch and a half diameter). Then sanded the edges to the line using a belt sander mounted upside down to my work bench. I use this belt sander technique a lot. Lots of control and easy to see what you're doing.

When fitting the lens half to the wingtip, do you just tape the lens over the wingtip in any orientation and draw a cut line, or is there some particular "correct" angle to position it relative to the tip? I found it kind of fits and looks right at almost any angle, so maybe it doesn't matter. Does the molded "lip" edge that comes from the factory have any significance (before removing it), for example, does that need to align with or run parallel to the fwd-to-aft groove on the wingtip?

When fitting the lens half to the wingtip, do you just tape the lens over the wingtip in any orientation and draw a cut line, or is there some particular "correct" angle to position it relative to the tip? I found it kind of fits and looks right at almost any angle, so maybe it doesn't matter. Does the molded "lip" edge that comes from the factory have any significance (before removing it), for example, does that need to align with or run parallel to the fwd-to-aft groove on the wingtip?

There is no exact science to it if I remember correctly. Just cut it in half, put it on there and get it looking right. Then let the forever process of iterative trimming commence. :)

Back