What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heading back to hangar for Round #2

jrock836

Well Known Member
I'm trying to put my RV12 back together after much disassembly to install my ADSB-IN... I had to unbolt the Flaperon Mixer Bellcranks in order to run the coax under all the pushrods and bellcranks and drill some holes. I spent almost 4 hours earlier trying to line up everything including that dang washer on the bottom in order to slide the bolt in through 6 different holes... No joy... As anyone who has done this before knows, there are lots of restrictions that make working in that area VERY difficult. I finally decided I needed to just walk away from it for awhile before tools started flying..

I'm about to head back for round #2 right now. I just thought I would see how other people managed to get it done. I'm planning to use a very small spot of super glue to hold the washer in place and see if that will work. Anyone else have any other brilliant solutions? I will check for any posts once I get to the hangar. Hopefully someone has a better way. I already tried to stick the washer in place with Easy Turn, but that didn't work. Washer kept moving around as I lined up everything else... UGGG...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
You might try using a punch, awl or pick through the parts to get things aligned before inserting the bolt.

I had a similar situation when I was reinstalling my control sticks after changing grips. There are small spacers on each side of the heim rod end that have to be in place before the bolt goes through, similar to your situation. There is only enough room for one hand. I spent / wasted several hours and increased my vocabulary with a few new swear words when I "almost" had it together several times.
In the end the super glue putting the spacer on the heim rod end worked first time. The second stick went together in 5 minutes. Good luck.

You might try using a punch, awl or pick through the parts to get things aligned before inserting the bolt.

Thanks, I probably didn't explain it well enough. Getting the washer in place is the biggest challenge. I dropped the washer countless times while trying to blindly slide it into position under the complete assembly with one finger. If I ever got the washer close I would have tried your idea.

I had a similar situation when I was reinstalling my control sticks after changing grips. There are small spacers on each side of the heim rod end that have to be in place before the bolt goes through, similar to your situation. There is only enough room for one hand. I spent / wasted several hours and increased my vocabulary with a few new swear words when I "almost" had it together several times.
In the end the super glue putting the spacer on the heim rod end worked first time. The second stick went together in 5 minutes. Good luck.

Thanks.. The super glue is setting up as I type and admiring the new antenna. :)

Attachments

• 1626925919969283156119.jpg
    1626925919969283156119.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 213
I probably should have said I ran the bolt through with nothing else to act as a guide for the spacer. Then a dab of super glue on the spacer and dropped it on the bolt letting it fall in place. After it dried I removed the bolt and assembled like you only a couple of fingers doing all the work.

I probably should have said I ran the bolt through with nothing else to act as a guide for the spacer. Then a dab of super glue on the spacer and dropped it on the bolt letting it fall in place. After it dried I removed the bolt and assembled like you only a couple of fingers doing all the work.

Thanks Walt.. I got that assembly back together late last night! I hope to never take that part of the airplane apart again.

I have a set of washer spanners that I use all the time. Available from Cleaveland Tool

Round 2

I feel your pain. A spanner is a thin peice of metal taht is machined to hold a washer in place and you slide it with close tolerance. Best Money I every spent
washer wrench.png

I'm trying to put my RV12 back together after much disassembly to install my ADSB-IN... I had to unbolt the Flaperon Mixer Bellcranks in order to run the coax under all the pushrods and bellcranks and drill some holes. I spent almost 4 hours earlier trying to line up everything including that dang washer on the bottom in order to slide the bolt in through 6 different holes... No joy... As anyone who has done this before knows, there are lots of restrictions that make working in that area VERY difficult. I finally decided I needed to just walk away from it for awhile before tools started flying..

I'm about to head back for round #2 right now. I just thought I would see how other people managed to get it done. I'm planning to use a very small spot of super glue to hold the washer in place and see if that will work. Anyone else have any other brilliant solutions? I will check for any posts once I get to the hangar. Hopefully someone has a better way. I already tried to stick the washer in place with Easy Turn, but that didn't work. Washer kept moving around as I lined up everything else... UGGG...
hey Joe, what kind of ADSB-in did you install? My Is install is just a little antenna under the rudder pedals, pretty easy.

hey Joe, what kind of ADSB-in did you install? My Is install is just a little antenna under the rudder pedals, pretty easy.

I bought the Dynon ADSB-472 Van's kit, which included the white shark fin style antenna. Van's recommended installing the antenna behind the baggage area on the bottom of the airplane. I believe they wanted to keep the antenna away from the transponder antenna which is mounted up front..

Back