What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

alternate air control cable

EdRv7

We are building an RV-7 with the Vans provided IO-360A1B6 engine. Where have you all run your cable for the alternate air control? In particular, I'm curious where folks put their firewall pass through and also where in the cockpit they mounted the control knob. Any pictures welcome!

Timely post

This a very timely post for me. I want to know too! I haven't committed to a location yet, but I am thinking to the left of the throttle, since I have injected and don't need carb heat. I think in an emergency, this will be where my hand is anyway, and it should be easy to reach without looking down and searching, or thinking too much.
Curious what others think.

I have a throttle quadrant in my RV-7 so I tucked the alternate air control next to it. Left side of panel would have been a little easier but I didn't have room.

20210101_lamps4.jpg

20131104_knob1.jpg
20131104_knob2.jpg

Cable routing FWF:

20131104_cable1.jpg
20131104_cable3.jpg

20131104_door1.jpg
20131104_door3.jpg

Thanks Mburch. Did you move the firewall penetration hole over from the Vans suggested location to provide more clearance from the engine mount?

Did you move the firewall penetration hole over from the Vans suggested location to provide more clearance from the engine mount?

I'm almost sure I ignored the plans and just found a hole location that I could make work! Lots of that kind of thing in this vintage of kit, where the locations of things in the FWF plans are more like suggestions. :)

Back