What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cracked xponder antenna

Bavafa

Well Known Member
I was washing the belly of my plane that I noticed a 2" thin crack in my x-ponder antenna (Comant CI-105). The transponder is operating with no issue (have not dropped off radar yet). I was wondering any one has had this issue and if there is a recommended repair for it. I was thinking of lightly sand it and put two or three layer of glass on it from keeping it to grow or break off completely. Would two or three layer of glass block any of the signals?

I'd just clean it real good with some alcohol and let some super glue wick into the crack.
The crack is probably ok as is, but sealing the crack would prevent further cracking.
Anyway, that's what I would do.

I would reccomend the fix Steve mentioned above, wicking some Super Glue into the crack and a few wraps of black electrical tape till it is bonded.
It is important to keep moisture out of the antenna internals, the Super Glue should do this.

I expect Comant will not reccomend a field fix because they would have a difficult time insuring the antenna meets the TSO after the fix.

Another thought, I've had a few request about painting the transponder antennas I produce, I have tested several types of paint and have found Krylon "Fusion" paint for plastic to work well on the transponder antennas. A medium covering coat has no noticeable electrical effect on the antenna performance as measured by my lab equipment.

The paint in combination with the Super Glue should have the antenna looking and performing like new.

Thanks for the suggestions, I found out that my CI-105 is still under warrenty and planning on pulling it and sending it to Comant and have them deal with it. I don't know if it is repairable or they would replace it but this way it would hopefully last longer then my field repair attempts.

Regards

Isn't it plastic?

...so use a super glue or MEK based liquid glue that works on ABS type plastics - or a epoxy made for plastic (see Home Depot glue display aisle)

I did this and it's held up for several years and still going...:)

Any reason you all chose to go with the molded/fiberglass/faired/streamlined config. over the stainless stick w/ nub? I'll be deciding which to go with soon & would appreciate benefit of your experiences.

Thank-You (90% & 90% to go)

Thanks for the suggestions, I found out that my CI-105 is still under warrenty and planning on pulling it and sending it to Comant and have them deal with it. I don't know if it is repairable or they would replace it but this way it would hopefully last longer then my field repair attempts.

Regards

Same antenna - just noticed this today (only got ~40 hours on the plane). I was careful to snug the nuts and not overtighten them. I'm not sure what caused this.

Anyhow, was your antenna replaced under warranty?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 154
Any reason you all chose to go with the molded/fiberglass/faired/streamlined config. over the stainless stick w/ nub? I'll be deciding which to go with soon & would appreciate benefit of your experiences.

Thank-You (90% & 90% to go)

1. Blade is a little bit better in terms of efficiency (how much power actually gets radiated).
2. Even though it is bigger, blade is a bit less drag (1/4 knot??).
3. I’ve seen few damaged blades, but a lot of bent stick-with-ball. I think people just don’t see them, and accidentally hit them with something (like their head?).

Ryan,

That crack looks more like it could be where they glued the two halves together. I'm not sure if these are made in 1 or 2 pieces, but it would seem difficult to get a crack like that if it was made as a single piece.

Just a thought but the hassle of getting it out is substantial compared to the cost of a new one. Some glue and a little rtv might last many years. Put a few spring clamps around the edge after some glue then slight amount of RTV over the top. A little sandpaper to prepare the surface first. I doubt the antenna element is affected and sealing it will make it last a long time. Or at least till the next time you feel like having that panel off.

Dpansier, thanks for the tip about the Fusion paint for the blade antenna. Most paints have some metal salts in them for color and suspect would attenuate the RF. My Bendix King blade has yellowed and grey'd a lot and a coat of white paint would make it look fresher.

Just a thought but the hassle of getting it out is substantial compared to the cost of a new one. Some glue and a little rtv might last many years. Put a few spring clamps around the edge after some glue then slight amount of RTV over the top. A little sandpaper to prepare the surface first. I doubt the antenna element is affected and sealing it will make it last a long time. Or at least till the next time you feel like having that panel off.

I did the superglue and clamp trick yesterday evening - Didn't think about putting a little RTV on top for good measure. Thanks for the tip!

Back