What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SDS CPI2 audio to intercom

N546RV

Well Known Member
Hi folks. I sent an email to SDS with this question but figured I'd throw it out here. For you CPI2 owners, did you hook up the audio from the ECU to your intercom? If so, how did you do the connection?

The CPI2 only comes with a short cable with 3.5mm TRS plugs on both ends. For one thing, the only plug I have for this is on the intercom face and I really don't want to have a cable plugged in there permanently, for another, the included cable would barely reach even if I wanted it to.

Additionally, the CPI2 manual specifies that the included audio cable will only emit audio on one side of a stereo headset. I assume this means that the TRS socket on the ECU only uses the tip and ring, but I'm not sure.

What I'd like to do is get a TS cable like this one and wire it into the aux non-muting input on my Dynon intercom. If the ECU really does just use tip and sleeve, this should be fine. If for some reason it uses the ring and sleeve, then to my understanding this TS plug would just short those two contacts out.

Obviously Ross is going to be the authoritative voice on this, but I figure someone else has probably gone down this road as well. Thoughts?

For anyone else who may have the same question in the future:

Hi Philip,

The Cpi-2 uses just the tip and sleeve. The ring is not used. The sleeve is just grounded in the cpi2 and the tip is the signal output. I think it should work okay for you using the input you highlighted below.

I do have a method using a jumper to connect the tip and ring together but nobody has ever asked for this yet. Install a jumper across 2 pins inside the gold ecu box, so if you need both channels badly let me know.

Based on this, wiring that TS connector into the mono input in my intercom should give me mono audio out of both ears, without needing the ECU jumper.

Now the question is, how long will it be before I can actually test this? Gotta finish terminating stuff on this harness and get it stuffed into the airplane...

Back