What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is an SD-8 alternator sufficiently powerful?

penguin

Well Known Member
Patron
SD-8 8amps, 2.9lb Alternator $545 with regulator, 8 amps (at 13.8v) at 2700 engine rpm, 7amps at 2300 engine rpm, but engine must be turning 1500 rpm before 2amps are produced. Link

BC410 20 to 40 amps, 5.75lb Alternator $500, regulator $180. 32 amps (at 14.4v) at 2700 engine rpm, 29 amps at 2300 engine rpm and 15 amps at 1500 engine rpm. Link

Is an SD-8 alternator sufficiently powerful?

The answer used to be yes, no question. Many aircraft have been built with only a B&C SD-8 for electrical power and have been run quite happily without any need to charge the battery externally. However, now I?m not so sure. As we all now like to run more and more electrical gizmos it is possible to use up most of an SD-8?s output and leave very little to charge the battery. The SD-8 produces very little useable energy on the ground, if you fly many short flights it is possible an SD-8 may not be able to replenish your battery.

Let?s consider an aircraft with a radio, transponder, EFIS/engine monitor, GPS and fuel injection. The fuel injection system is potentially significant as the boost pump can take 4amps, that?s more than half the SD-8?s output. If the boost pump has to be run all the time or is inadvertently left on there is only 3 amps for everything else. The electronics can take 2 amps and a master solenoid takes nearly an amp. That means there is almost nothing left for the battery.

The next size up alternator from B&C is the is the BC410, a 20 to 40 amp unit. From the spec sheet it looks like the BC410 produces some power at 1000rpm, so there is no battery drain on the ground and some power left over in flight for the battery, even if (LED) strobes, nav lights and a landing are installed. It is nearly 3lb heavier (double the weight) and $135 more expensive, but what is it worth not to run out of battery power?

Recently I was several hours away from home flying with some friends. We were flying short trips at low level in hot temperatures. Everyone was suffering some fuel vapour problems, so we routinely ran with the boost pump on continuously. Those with fuel injection were also cranking a lot to get started. The consequence was that those with an SD-8 were not replenishing their batteries. One aircraft ran out of power when we were starting up to fly home. Fortunately we had a battery charger and access to a power point very close to the ramp. After a short delay there was sufficient charge to crank the engine. We were not seriously inconvenienced this time and all made it home on the day we planned, but we were fortunate.

Building aircraft is always a compromise. I?m now of the opinion that for RVs with ability to comfortably fly 1000 miles in a day a 20amp alternator (and an autopilot) is a required item.

Pete

Powerful enough for what is the question.

I'm using a SD-8 as my only alternator. Day VFR, no lights, no fuel injection, no glass panel, no autopilot. Do have nav and transponder and ADSB-out. Just watched a few of my flight test videos to see how long it took after takeoff before the ammeter stopped showing the charge. Took about 15 minutes. So a very short flight (once around the pattern or so) would leave the battery uncharged.

After that never seemed to go over 2 amps or so, including running the flaps. So, if you can stand to be without all the gadgets it is more than enough. Going without does make my RV less of a cross country plane than the ones that most build.

Just me

I am planning on a B&C engine pan mounted 40 A alternator. With the LED lights, it seems the power draw at night has come down sufficiently for this to be viable. JMHO.

SD8

I have an SD 8 in my RV 3 and if I have had a few short flights I have to top it up with a quick ground charge otherwise next time a cold start is required and it does not start straight away it is into recharge territory.
When I travel I take a model aircraft charger (Graupner 16s Very light & 10 amp output) with me and an Allen key to remove the battery.
My battery is behind the seat and I can have the battery out in a couple of minutes.
Installed equipment, a Trig radio & transponder, Garmin G5 and wired in Bose headset and a remote compass.
I have found starter drain to be the main issue. With the high compression engine and original Lycoming starter exact starting procedure is a must for different conditions
So going back to Petes comments, I agree, with my set up an SD 8 is just manageable, any more equipment and it would be a no go.

Rob
G-BVDC

SD-8 works for me

Earthx battery, Carb, B&C starter, 4 electronic round gauges and Ifly GPS. Charges at 14.2 in flight and sets in the hanger at 13.4 ready to go next flight. It will support strobes, com radio with blue tooth headset , ADSB/ iphone charger in flight.

Back