What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heated Pitot question

flybill7

Well Known Member
I'm helping a friend build an RV-10. We are working on installing the Garmin GAP-26 heated pitot with Angle of Attack in the quickbuild wing. I have a couple of questions. Is it OK to cut the two long 1/4" aluminum tubes coming out of the pilot tube to make them shorter? I know you can bend them by hand.

We bought the pitot kit from Stein Air and it came with a long blue nylon 1/4" tube which is for one of the two pitot aluminum tubes (AOA). The quickbuild wing kit came with alum tubing to run through the wing for the pitot. I'm wondering if it would be OK just to use 1/4" nylon tube for the pitot air instead of using the aluminum tube. It would be easier to connect the nylon than the alum to the pitot air tube.

107s3sm.jpg

I too had this question and Garmin says its OK to cut... just make sure there is no debris left.

I have 1/4" pneumatic lines run through my wings for both pitot and AOA. Stein sells adapters that you'll need to go from the 1/4" tubing to the 3/16" aluminum coming out of the GAP.

Charlie

In the Garmin installation manual, section 5.3:

For heated probe installations where the installer desires to shorten the provided aluminum tubing, a minimum of 8" of aluminum tubing should remain between the probe and any transition to non-metallic tubing to protect the non-metallic tubing from excessive heat.

Just keep that in mind as you cut and bend (using a tube bender of course)

E

In the Garmin installation manual, section 5.3:

For heated probe installations where the installer desires to shorten the provided aluminum tubing, a minimum of 8" of aluminum tubing should remain between the probe and any transition to non-metallic tubing to protect the non-metallic tubing from excessive heat.

Just keep that in mind as you cut and bend (using a tube bender of course)

E

This, last thing you want is your plastic lines to melt where they connect to the pitot the first time you have the heat on. Also keep in mind you want some slack in the air lines to allow you to remove the Pitot from the mast in the future if there is ever an issue with the Pitot tube.

Back