What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for a new home MD/DC Area

Icarus

Well Known Member
Well, its that time again. Military says it is time to move.

Will be working / living around the Bethesda area. Looking for a new home for my RV-4 (will be leaving the Cherokee with a good friend in Georgia).

If you have any leads / tips please reach out to me. I am an easy hangar mate, happy to provide references if needed. Will be in the area for 3 years, barring any catastrophic world events. Will be there in May.

Paul M.

That is a tough area to be - you got the DC-3, The DC SFRA, and about 3 other "you cant fly here" acronyms. Then there are the constant presidential TFR's :(

It's not that big a deal airspace wise, even the FRZ. It sounds worse than it really is in practice. I'm based at Manassas (KHEF) in the SFRA and I haven't had any issues in 12 years. And TFRs aren't any more of an issue than anyplace else in the country.

Hangar space is going to be the hardest nut to crack--most places tend to have wait lists so best to start contacting all the airports within your max drive radius for availability,

Frederick, KFDK is north and a :40 min drive up I270 from Bethesda. Outside of the airspace issues.

Will start calling around and getting on "the list" tomorrow.

I flew out of GAI for a few years, the airspace doesn't bug me, but sparse hangar space sure does. It seems like, with my choice of career, I am always ending up on the end of a "list" somewhere. Thankfully, I have always had hangar space appear when people meet me/get to know me a bit and get to learning I'm not a (total) jerk.

Thanks for the input, keep your eyes peeled for me if you would! In the meantime I will thank my lucky stars its not Korea I'm headed to!

Paul

It all depends on how much of a commute you can tolerate. I rode the VRE commuter train each day from VA42 to downtown DC as any I-95 commute is just a nightmare.

For Bethesda, the Metro is about the only option so look for places that support. No matter what, getting a hangar within easy access is not going to be in the cards unless you luck into something.

Carl

PCSing to DC

I hanger at KVKX; hangers frequently come available. A 7A just moved from here to Tipton; owner said newly built hangers there just opened. Don't know if Tipton info in correct, just what I was told. "Maryland 3" FRZ and DC SFRA no big problem. Glad to help where I can.

Welcome to the Nation's Capital!!!

Robert
RV7

Paul---good luck. Hinesville's loss is DC's gain.

Tom

Tom, will miss the South for sure. I'm sure I will have some more work for you in the near future, for my next trick...brake lines!

Sure will miss soaring in Ridgeland too. It's a small world, I'm sure I will be back to the low country. .

Hi Paul,

I live in Bethesda and the NoVA area for a while now and hangar space is definitely hard to come by at a reasonable price. The question is how many days do you want to fly?

A friend just got a newly constructed hangar at Tipton KFME which is about a 40 min drive from Bethesda and perched between BWI and DCS (so you have Class B 1100' overhead), but outside the FRZ. There might be some spaces there. The price isn't bad there, but the runway is a little short for my Velocity (right now) and I think the airspace would be hectic.

I have a hangar in Culpeper VA (KCJR), which is 65 miles or 1.2 hours of driving. Built my plane there... took a long time... They may have hangar space. There is a waiting list, but from what they told me the other day, everyone they call says no when they get called. Call Neil and tell him you have a plane and need a hangar right sooner than later. $250/mo for an end hangar (versus KGAI which wants $500... more if you want it paved with electricity).

HEF isn't too bad and is about 20 miles closer than Culpeper.

FDK wanted $500 (refundable) to be on the waiting list. That got rid of the less serious. I finally made it to the top of the list, but the only way I could afford it was to share and there wasn't enough space in the hangar for the Velocity and my tools to do that... so I ended up declining and got my money back. FDK would be a good place to be IF it were available.

KGAI would be the best place. Extremely overpriced. If they had a decent hangar that I could share with someone I would ($600/mo rent). Its only 15 min from Bethesda.

Leesburg VA (KJYO) is another option. Again, its the same drive as CJR but twice the price.

That's about all I know. Good luck in your search.
Don
VELO N164PS

Well, its that time again. Military says it is time to move.

Will be working / living around the Bethesda area. Looking for a new home for my RV-4 (will be leaving the Cherokee with a good friend in Georgia).

If you have any leads / tips please reach out to me. I am an easy hangar mate, happy to provide references if needed. Will be in the area for 3 years, barring any catastrophic world events. Will be there in May.

Paul M.

MD/DC area

Hi Paul,

I'm based out of Essex Skypark (W48) northeast Baltimore. There might be hangar space available here. There are also hangars available at Martin State airport. Both are outside of the SFRA. Send me a private message if you are interested in something at Essex Skypark (Link).

Warrenton

Paul. Im going to hate loosing you as my hangarmate! For the last 2 years you,ve been the perfect one and a great friend! Come back soon...now I have to find two hangarmates to keep what I have....references avail if needed buddy!

Hi Paul,

I live in Bethesda and the NoVA area for a while now and hangar space is definitely hard to come by at a reasonable price. The question is how many days do you want to fly?

A friend just got a newly constructed hangar at Tipton KFME which is about a 40 min drive from Bethesda and perched between BWI and DCS (so you have Class B 1100' overhead), but outside the FRZ. There might be some spaces there. The price isn't bad there, but the runway is a little short for my Velocity (right now) and I think the airspace would be hectic.

I have a hangar in Culpeper VA (KCJR), which is 65 miles or 1.2 hours of driving. Built my plane there... took a long time... They may have hangar space. There is a waiting list, but from what they told me the other day, everyone they call says no when they get called. Call Neil and tell him you have a plane and need a hangar right sooner than later. $250/mo for an end hangar (versus KGAI which wants $500... more if you want it paved with electricity).

HEF isn't too bad and is about 20 miles closer than Culpeper.

FDK wanted $500 (refundable) to be on the waiting list. That got rid of the less serious. I finally made it to the top of the list, but the only way I could afford it was to share and there wasn't enough space in the hangar for the Velocity and my tools to do that... so I ended up declining and got my money back. FDK would be a good place to be IF it were available.

KGAI would be the best place. Extremely overpriced. If they had a decent hangar that I could share with someone I would ($600/mo rent). Its only 15 min from Bethesda.

Leesburg VA (KJYO) is another option. Again, its the same drive as CJR but twice the price.

That's about all I know. Good luck in your search.
Don
VELO N164PS

Thanks Don! I am going to cast a wide net, and you brought up a few places I had missed. I loved flying out of GAI, just bet I would be onto my next assignment, or the one after it...by the time my name got called for a hangar!

May reach out to pick your brain in the coming weeks. Thanks again!

Paul. Im going to hate loosing you as my hangarmate! For the last 2 years you,ve been the perfect one and a great friend! Come back soon...now I have to find two hangarmates to keep what I have....references avail if needed buddy!

Thanks Mitch! Guess I won't steal your tools after all if your willing to list as a reference! You're going to replace me with two other RVs soon enough, its a great hangar at a field that should only get busier. See you this week bud.

I flew out of Gai for 30 years but haven't been back for 20 years so I have no current info. Suggestion, find your way to the Congressional Flying Club. Those guys know what is going on. Great bunch. Also the USCG Aux was very active in the past. There are several large hangers that you might be able to roost until something comes up.
:D

You might consider joining the DC Pilots Yahoo group. Its pretty active and hangar spaces are often talked about there....and, in addition to the guys who have already chimed in here who live in the region, you'll be canvasing the non VAF local flying community on that group.......tho for Bethesda I'd think youd first look at GAI, then FDK if you want a services airport. Essex that Bill noted above is also a good but often forgotten non towered one....and maybe Ft Mead/Tipton, tho I dont rem their hangar status off hand.

Back