What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I am as NEWBIE as one can be...

Dandlac58

Well Known Member
I just bought a 2004 RV7/7a... I say both because it has the necessary mounts already on the airplane to make it either a tail dragger or a trike. Yes, cool, the only reason I bought this particular airplane although it was also well maintained and quite nice, inside and out.

Because it is currently in tail dragger gear and tail draggers are inherently far more dangerous than trikes on take off and landings...yes, it's an opinion - but one just validate again at our local airport when a C-170 driver learning to fly it, just last week ground looped it!! Im converting it back to 7A with hopes of lots of fun flying and greatly reduced stress on taxi, takeoff, and landings!!

I am not nearly smart enough to build an entire airplane and anyone who has done it, I revere! You all are awesome!

But I am, I think, capable enough to do some things like what Im attempting on converting it back to 7A trike.

I did the SB for the nose gear and have gotten the modified leg and new fork back.

Im ready to install it into the nose gear mount but seeking advice before doing so. My plan is to insert the leg in the mount using marine grease to lub and protect against corrosion, then lock it in with new bolt and nut. Then install the fork, then the wheel and tire. I've also sent for the installation/build documents from Vans but haven't received them yet.

Any suggestions for doing this to minimize grief are greatly appreciated.

Dan

Engine Mount?

Be interested to know what sort of engine mount has both the socket for the tricycle nose gear AND the sockets for the tail dragger main gear!?

It's got both...

I will take a picture or two of the engine mount when Im at the hangar later... it's pretty sweet.

It was built as a 7A initially, then converted to a 7... but the engine mount and the airframe has always had both sets of mounts... from what I understand, it is perhaps 1 of 5 airplanes with both sets of mounts, brake lines, etc...

Last edited:
A hangar neighbor of mine has a Rans S-21 that can convert between trike and taildragger. It's a neat idea for flexibility.

To get the landing gear on my RV-10, my shared hangar came with a forklift. I put a well padded pallet at the CG and VERY SLOWLY lifted the fuselage until it was high enough to get all three legs on. If you have access to a forklift, it worked great - basically a full body jack. Nicely balanced, no real risk of dropping the plane or tipping it over.

I will take a picture or two of the engine mount when Im at the hangar later... it's pretty sweet.

It was built as a 7A initially, then converted to a 7... but the engine mount and the airframe has always had both sets of mounts... from what I understand, it is perhaps 1 of 5 airplanes with both sets of mounts, brake lines, etc...

A few dual configuration engine mounts were produced years ago.. primarily for aircraft that were the builder planned to alternate between amphibious floats (requires a tail dragger mount) and tricycle gear.

Back