What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advise on painting O-320

I want to clean up my engine and the previous owner cleaned all the paint off and got it almost ready for paint. So my question is what kind of paint should I use that will hold up to the heat and do I need to primer it or just paint it? Also I see a lot of different colors on O-320 on the internet so what are some of the color choices most engine are painted.

Colors

Most auto parts stores sell high temp paint in various colors. In my opinion and experience, bright colors reveal oil leaks better than black…the worst color for leaks.

Bake it!

+ 3 for the ACS Lycoming grey.

If you really, REALLY want it to last, then shoot each piece individually before assembly and bake each part in an oven at 350 for an hour to cure and harden the paint. This technique is outlined in the Skyranch engineering manual. Lots of great info in that book. I highly recommend it.

Painting in Pieces

All areas that will contact hardware must be masked so nuts, washers will contact bare metal or alodine. I believe on the cylinder bases where the nuts make contact a VERY THIN coat of zinc chromate is allowed under the nuts. Hours of masking. Case halves were bolted to heavy cardboard with hardware store bolt and washer in each hole.
I used older generation over alodine on advice of a respected engine buder. No baking. It has held up well. Cylinders were new and painted Imron over the Lycoming grey.

Rustoleum machine grey

Rattle can of rustoleum machine grey is holding up well after 200 hours for me. Easy, available most anywhere, close to the lycoming color and really tough.

Last edited:
I used Continental colors

I had just finished my A-65 Continental rebuild in my old Taylorcraft which I painted with Engine enamel I bought through AC Spruce I believe. I never liked the old Lyco Grey, and my O320H2AD was originally a horrible robin egg blue that Cessna specked out..yuk!. I decided to use the left over Conti colors, and I like the look. Dark Blue/Grey case and gold cylinders. I applied it directly over alodined case, and bead blasted cylinders.It helped that I was re-building the O320 and had it all in pieces. Holding up pretty well after 12 years.

Attachments

• O320 right side.jpg
    O320 right side.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 179
Bill I like your solution on flexible ducting. What brand are those zip ties?

Ty-Rap® Thomas & Betts is my choice due to its exceptional durability, strength, natural nylon, and stainless steel locking mechanism.
-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 5.43.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 5.43.02 PM.png
    308.4 KB · Views: 48
Back