What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inspections

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
Ok I searched under inspections and didn’t find what I was looking for though I’m surprised it’s not discussed more.

At what point to do people get their project looked at by someone who knows better? I know there is an inspection at the end (though I’m vague on that too). I’m a good chunk through my wing kit.

My brother in laws’ dad died in a homebuilt and my whole family is very concerned with my project and thinks I should have an a and p looking over my shoulder all the time.

I’m sure I’ll get a variety of responses but insight is appreciated since I’m building on my own not near any clubs that I’m aware of.

Find EAA Tech Counselor

There is no required in-process inspections required in the USA. In-Process inspections are recommended so that a 2nd set of eyes can look over workmanship while construction is ongoing.

Find an EAA Tech Counselor near you and ask them.

I typically tell a first time RV builder to have their first inspection before they close their first assembly on the tail. I like to see HS have one side (top or bottom) of the skin riveted on before closing it up.

2nd visit before wings are closed out.

3rd visit when fuselage looks like a canoe.

4th visit before the airplane is moved to the airport.

or any time that there are questions about workman ship.

Metal airplanes like RV are since to look at in just about any stage of construction. The idea is to not do something wrong that requires major rework or scrapping of a major assembly.

Last edited:
Ok I searched under inspections and didn’t find what I was looking for though I’m surprised it’s not discussed more.
At what point to do people get their project looked at by someone who knows better? I know there is an inspection at the end (though I’m vague on that too). I’m a good chunk through my wing kit.
My brother in laws’ dad died in a homebuilt and my whole family is very concerned with my project and thinks I should have an a and p looking over my shoulder all the time.
I’m sure I’ll get a variety of responses but insight is appreciated since I’m building on my own not near any clubs that I’m aware of.

Typically the first inspection by a tech counselor, A&P, or experienced builder should be done before the first assembly is closed up. This allows the inspector to evaluate you workmanship on deburring, dimpling, and riveting. Further inspections should be recommended by the inspector depending on his/her
opinion of your workmanship.
I personally recommend at least 3-5 inspections throughout the build.
Keep in mind the none of these are required, just recommended.

OK, Gary types faster than I do! I would add a 5th inspection to Gary's list. When you think you are ready for the DAR, invite everyone you know to inspect the aircraft. Different eyes see different things. And you are so close to the project that it's extremely easy for you to miss a few things.

Last edited:
Agree with the previous postings but I would recommend a few changes...
1. The wing inspection should happen before tanks are closed.
2. Each inspection should be by a different TC. No offense, but it is possible to get a lenient TC. Look for someone who will really be honest. You want the criticism.
The last one made a point of telling me it would not be pleasant. Then he said it was excellent work. That's the one that really makes you feel good.

Agree with the previous postings but I would recommend a few changes...
1. The wing inspection should happen before tanks are closed.
2. Each inspection should be by a different TC. No offense, but it is possible to get a lenient TC. Look for someone who will really be honest. You want the criticism.
The last one made a point of telling me it would not be pleasant. Then he said it was excellent work. That's the one that really makes you feel good.

Closing the tanks is pretty early in the wing build. I haven’t riveted any of the wing skins on yet. Skin riveting comes after tanks iaw the plans.

Just for your own peace of mind, ask here for someone who is close to come and look at your plane. I found during my build there were people everywhere that were willing to come help or inspect. I had a great guy from Seattle area fly down to Caldwell Idaho just to show me a few things on his plane and look at mine.

It is real easy to have an ego as a pilot. When you are starting your build, you know nothing so you cant feel bad when someone says - you may want to consider doing the practice tool box again before you get back to your tail section. Well, at least the guy told me to not feel bad!!

Have fun with it and offering to take someone to lunch for a visit is great way to meet fellow builders.

I had a tech counselor come out.

He mostly spoke about edge/hole distance rules and shop head measurements.

He said I should get a copy of AC 43-13.

Found a few oblong holes that need fixing.

Back