What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-1 enters the EAA museum!

cjensen

Well Known Member
First, let me apologize for only having a Facebook album available...I haven't had any time to put these on a shared photo site, so if someone wants to do so, please feel free.

At about 2:30pm on October 17th, the RV-1 made its way (under tow) from the Homebuilders Hangar to the EAA museum. I'll update as it moves along to the display area, but for now, click on the link to see it enter...

RV-1 moves in

Thanx for posting !

Thanx much, Chad. Having the "One" in the museum is a landmark day for all RV builders and flyers. A perfect addition to one of the best aviation museums in the US.

Here ya go!

First, let me apologize for only having a Facebook album available...I haven't had any time to put these on a shared photo site, so if someone wants to do so, please feel free.

Great news, Chad. Thanks for the pictures!

(hint: click any of the images to see the original larger size)

Last edited:
Nice. Looks like somebody washed and polished'er up since I flew her. Thanks for the update Chad. Glad to see the RV-1 has such a great custodian.

Gives me chills!

I remain stunned with the success of the Friends of the RV-1 project and seeing the plane enter the museum is really a thrill. What a terrific effort and my thanks to Chad, Adam Smith before him, Rick Weiss, and the EAA management for recognizing the value of the RV-1 not only to our sub-community but to general aviation throughout the world. I'm convinced that general aviation around the world would be significantly less vibrant and robust if Van hadn't tinkered with this little plane and figured out what course homebuilding would follow for the next 40 years.

Big thanks to Paul, Louise, Ernie, Hoot----and all the crew, vendors, and pilots, that helped to make this happen!
Tom

BIG NO NO

I have to call a duck a duck...

Does that Chad dude, really have an AVATAR of him flying a STONEX on a VAF forum???

Good lord...what has happened to our old RV buddy? Yikes...that is like....well never mind. Just something not right with the world when Chad has been taken to the dark side. :eek:

I do like the rv1 sitting there. Nice job all.

Last edited:
I have to call a duck a duck...

Does that Chad dude, really have an AVATAR of him flying a STONEX on a VAF forum???

Good lord...what has happened to our old RV buddy? Yikes...that is like....well never mind. Just something not right with the world when Chad has been taken to the dark side. :eek:

I do like the rv1 sitting there. Nice job all.

HA! Thanks Rick...that little Onex is just a blast though! I still fly an RV too, so I'm still an old RV buddy!:cool:

Chad,
where is the RV-1 going? Next to the other RV? That would be cool.

For now it's sitting where the first RV-3 was. I took a pic of that today too, and I'll post it up this evening when I get some time to move the pic around. Not sure where the 3 went...:confused: I didn't have time to investigate that move, just noticed the 1 sitting in that spot next to the Moni.

Where can we get a picture of the log books with the list of supporters of this project? It would be a nice piece to frame up. :)

Your RV and RV-1 thread maybe?

I wonder how many builders/owners can boast they were this close to RV history.

Virginia Festival of Flight April 28th, 2012

RV1.jpg

RV-1.jpg

Ok, so somebody cough up the rest of the story.....where has it been since the Big Show, and what has been done to it?

A lot! That was the beauty of the RV-1 Tour. Lot's of people where able to get close and personal with that piece of history. I believe that was one of the primary missions of the Friends of the RV-1. It was a huge success.
Fun stuff. A photo album thread of the RV-1 would be pretty cool.

Last edited:
I believe Paul still has the logs to wrap up final details.

Actually. Ernie has the logbooks, and is getting them ready for Chad, when he's not busy with a new Eagles Nest project in League City...

Ok, so somebody cough up the rest of the story.....where has it been since the Big Show, and what has been done to it?

Best I know, it has been sitting in the Homebuilder's Hangar on the Oshkosh grounds, waiting for the museum to be ready for it. I don't know if it has had anything done to it yet, but I know that Van is working with the museum to get a few things back to "original", such as the lower cowl and the striping. The jury is still out on if the panel will get restored to it's original leopard-skin print to match the seat.... :eek::D

Paul is correct, it had to await timing of staff, functions, and other aircraft movements to claim it's spot.

I don't know if it will stay in that location, but I know Jeff has a display being designed for it.

253175_538571422823607_412198569_n.jpg

Actually, they had to dump two quarts of Aeroshell down around Mike before they could pop him out of there ;)

RV-1 Aircraft Log Books

Where can we get a picture of the log books with the list of supporters of this project? It would be a nice piece to frame up. :)

Here's a link to Friends of the RV-1 Picasa album "Log Books-Aircraft" .. Click >> HERE

Acknowledgement pages are at the end of Log Book #4. Book #5 is the "tour" Log Book and documents each flight on the barnstorming tour. The last 10 pages in this album are copies of a "Diary" that accompanied the RV-1 while on "tour".

Log Books have been sent to EAA.

Last edited:
Special Acknowledgments

For those that might not take time to view the Aircraft Log Books in Friends of the RV-1's Picasa Album (HERE), I thought this page in Book #4 was particularly significant and deserved to be brought to the forefront...

FYI: It was President Tom Poberezney that secured the RV-1 a place of prominence in the EAA Museum, and it was President Rod Hightower and his outstanding staff who moved forward, planned the AirVenture events, and provided worldwide recognition of Van and his RV-1.
==================================================
RV-1_Logbk_Special%2520Recognitions.jpg

Last edited:
<snip>... when he's (Ernie) not busy with a new Eagles Nest project in League City... <snip>

Thanks for the lead-in, Paul!

Clear Springs High School - League City, TX (NASA area)
32-students total / 2-class periods (2nd & 7th)
*Didn't get everyone in the photos, but there are 32 student signatures inside their recently completed "Eagle's Nest" vert stab.

_DSC6800x.jpg

_DSC6844x.jpg

Last edited:
Close like this??

RV%25201-6.JPG

Or, like this?:D

RV%25201-14.JPG

Mike, could you even close the lid in that thing with you inside of it!? Hahaha

You are one big dude in that little plane!

I think that if I were to build a three, i would do a starburst paint scheme on it just like the one!

Cool stuff!!!

:cool: CJ

That little airplane made for a few interesting adventures for some of us.
I'm glad I got to see it live and in person a couple of times. It is certainly where it belongs now. :)

That little airplane made for a few interesting adventures for some of us.

Yeah. I'll bet I got to observe the shortest flight in RV-1 history* ;)

(*....when James suffered a 2-3 second stumble on departure, looked down at the gauges, and looked back up to find fuel pouring across the windshield. The two were unrelated, but no matter....James now holds the Wetumpka record for the smallest, fastest pattern to a full stop.)

Picture of me with the RV-1

A lot! That was the beauty of the RV-1 Tour.

Indeed! :D

Unfortunately I didn't get to sit in it. Gotta admit, I am curious about how small it is. I've never been inside a -3, either. But I have sat in the back seat of a -4 a couple times and I can't imagine the -1 (or anything else) could have any less room...

Glad to see it's in the museum at Oshkosh. I hope I get to see it again next summer!

I saw it several times when it was here in Oregon, but this is my favorite pic. This was the first opportunity Jamie and I had to see it. June 14, 2012, Chapter 105 monthly meeting. Once/year we have a meeting and BBQ Fly-in at Parkside Airpark, Battleground, Washington. One of the most beautiful places you will ever see.

P1030883 (Medium).JPG

RV-1 At EAA Museum

Really glad to have had the opportunity to see the RV-1 twice this year. First time when it came to Stanley (CCW4) in May and second time at Oshkosh.

Nice to see it in it's rightful place at the EAA Museum. Hope to see it again someday.

Back