What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-540 Dynafocal Engine Mount Bracket

rpvinroot

I'm New Here
Is there someone who makes these? Gus at Van's said he thought there was. The Lycoming part number I need is 70456. Lycoming wants about $1200 for a set of them:(

mounts

If these are the ones in the engine mount weldment, John Harmon sold me some. These are not the aluminum ones bolted to the engine case.

Steve Barnes The Builders Coach

Part number 70456 is the Lycoming part number for the small hole version of the ears that bolt on to the engine (what an RV-10 needs). It's my understanding that the folks building Rockets need the larger hole version so if that's what you've got you might solict Rocket builders to see if any are interested in a swap.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM (flying)

I just picked up a set of 4 for my IO-540 off eBay for $220. I'll sell the big hole ones and it will probable be close to a wash.

Aero Sport Power

Is there someone who makes these? Gus at Van's said he thought there was. The Lycoming part number I need is 70456. Lycoming wants about $1200 for a set of them:(

Bart has new production units on hand. I cannot quote the price , but it sure isn't $1200/set!

Carry on!
Mark

Engine mount ears for A1A% Lycoming mounts

Can anyone fix me up with the correct Lord or Berry mount part numbers for the mount ears on an A1A5 I0-540 300 HP Lycoming? the mount ears castings on my engine are Lycoming part number - 70456 (smaller mount hole version).

Thanks

Part number 70456 is the Lycoming part number for the small hole version of the ears that bolt on to the engine (what an RV-10 needs). It's my understanding that the folks building Rockets need the larger hole version so if that's what you've got you might solict Rocket builders to see if any are interested in a swap.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM (flying)

Do you know the Lord or Berry part numbers for the monts that will fit the Lycoming 70456 mount ears. Thanks

Eng mount ears

They are now $255 "on sale" at Aero, thank goodness I found a set at wentworth for $100 each.

Does anybody know if the dimensions of the 70456 from the base to the center of the big hole is the same as the 19770 (big ear)?

I'm looking at a picture of them from an Rv10 build by Jeff Karrels and it almost looks like the center of the big hole on the 19770 is further from the base, so the dynafocal mount on the plane is dimensionally larger at the mount holes than the small one.

Doing a motor swap and my motor has the small brackets but the doner has the big brackets.

Yeah I’ve got my motors side by side now and they look to have the same bolt circle so I think it’s all the same, just a bigger ID for the bigger biscuits.

Still noodling which ones I should use.
Original motor has the small hole ears.
Donor motor has the big hole ears.

* leaning towards using the ears that were native to the airframe mount and which already has brand new biscuits, conveniently.
T

Last edited:
On closer examination the big ears appear to have a bigger bolt circle.

Hopefully this helps somebody some day

T

Useful tools include box end crows foot wrenches that needed edges ground to trim the total diameter, offset box end wrenches cut to about 2” total length for making a super stubby wrench, and maybe a 9/16” cylinder base wrench which we didn’t figure out till we were done swapping those suckers.

VAF has ALL the good technical knowledge. Far more that all the other aviation forums combined.
Tj

Back