What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another great Pilots N Paws Mission

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - Over the Memorial Day holiday weekend, I was able to complete another PNP mission - this time with the assistance of my son, Josh.

I had planned to put the pup in the baggage area of my 7A, but the pup had other plans. However, once we fired up the engine and started heading home she settled down. She spent most of the flight with her head nestled in between my and my son's shoulders.

Here's a quick pic I took at 8500 feet above central Texas..... I'm not the dog whisperer, but that looks like a RV Grin to me!

Jason

2du9qqh.jpg

Way to go! RV's make great PNP mission aircraft. I'm only flying a C172 and often wish I had my RV7 finished as I could use that extra speed.
With over 4 million dogs being euthanized yearly, we need more pilots. We can't save them all, but we can help some of them.
Every PNP flight I have made has been a rewarding experience. And I've never had a dog make a mess in my airplane. Most of them go to sleep by the time we reach cruising altitude.

Question

And I've never had a dog make a mess in my airplane. Most of them go to sleep by the time we reach cruising altitude.

That's great! In your experience how do the dogs do without ear protection? I imagine most won't tolerate 'mutt muffs'.

Paul

Way to go! RV's make great PNP mission aircraft. I'm only flying a C172 and often wish I had my RV7 finished as I could use that extra speed.

I was flying a bit northwest of your airport on Monday, when my wife ask why the traffic that ATC just pointed out to us was flying backwards. My response was that it wasn't flying backwards, it's just a C172 and the can't go any faster. Then I reminded her that is about the same speed as our old Cherokee 180.

We did take my daughter's Lab to Baton Rouge with us. It was the first trip with the dog. Absolutely no issues at all.

13335650_10155255348827588_14781225664381590_n.jpg

13320000_10155255348852588_2636087932377734635_n.jpg

13325598_10155255348777588_5886325385121477912_n.jpg

Sorry for the links, but FB doesn't appear to support photo linking. It appears that they will display if the url is launched directly.

That's great! In your experience how do the dogs do without ear protection? I imagine most won't tolerate 'mutt muffs'.

Paul

I do have Mutt Muffs, but quite frankly, I don't use them often. To me it's just seems like another factor that might raise their stress level, especially if I am alone and don't have an assistant to calm the dog should that be necessary after we are in the air.

With the dog in a Kennel and with a small blanket, he/she usually goes to sleep. Most of my flights have been less than two hours. I feel good about the flights, because I feel confident the dogs are going to a better home.

My personal dog does wear the "Mutt Muffs" although it is very challenging to get them to fit because of the shape and size of his head. He's a mixed Terrier, very similar to a Fox Terrier. Bob Leffler has linked a couple of nice photos displaying the proper use of hearing protection on his daughter's Labrador Retriever.

Last edited:
Back