What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

oil analysis

papamike

Well Known Member
Hey everybody, I'm wanting to start oil analysis for my new RV7. There are several out there...wondering what ones you use, and if there any I shouldn't?
Thanks

Me, too. Blackstone furnishes everthing to include the postage paid shipping container. The also keep a history of your engine so you can compare oil samples over time.

Blackstone. Their reports provide an interpretation by an actual person (not computer) with specific comparison to your previous analyses and discussion of the trend. The trend of your oil analysis is the most important part.

+1 on Blackstone!

I used to get free analysis from Chevron because of a business association - paying to have Blackstone do it yields a much better result.

Use them, you won't be sorry.

HFS

I too have used Blackstone Labs for many years and appreciate their personal analysis of the oil sample, which goes above simply providing the data.

Blackstone.
Fast, easy.
The other one was much slower and I didn't even get reports a few times. Had to call them.

I have been using Aviation Oil Analysis (AOA) by ALS Tribology Division, from aircraft spruce. I send it in every 50th on each oil change. Fast response, I got a nice graph so it’s easy to see your progress.

Blackstone here too. Although I'm getting super annoyed with the prepaid shipping. It generally takes so long that I usually just pay for priority. Might just be my location.

Wow. Thanks for the quick replies. Glad I asked...

As the other stated, Blackstone all the way. I do like that you can call them up and speak with the lab tech that summarized your sample. Sometimes they will revisit their statement after a conversation that highlights items that are outside of the information they have. They are more than willing to talk through your findings and suggest steps to verify good health of some materials are found outside of the parameters given. I send samples in every 25 hours 4 to 5 times a year. I've closely monitored my engine since I picked up the plane and watched it get through the process from being idle for a few years, to flying 140 hours a year.

Back