What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Service Ceiling Test

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
So, one thing I've never done is a test on the Service Ceiling on my RV-10. No real practical reason to do it. I'm just curious so it would just be for grins and giggles (yes I know I'll need O2). My question is from an ATC perspective, how to go about filing and/or asking for a clearance to say FL 200 since theoretically the test would take me into Class A airspace and therefore IFR. I'm based under a Class B shelf so initially I'd be a talking to Approach but I would expect that at some point I'd have to be handed off to Center (not sure the vertical airspace structure in that regard). I don't really want to go anywhere particular for the test--I envision just doing racetracks over our practice area which is out of the way of airways and direct city routings and wouldn't interfere with any flight level traffic, as far as I can tell. Thoughts?

Probably your best bet would be to call the appropriate Approach or Center agency on the phone. Explain to them what you would like to do, and ask when and where is a good time to do it to avoid disrupting their normal operations. Then you can file what they suggest and have everybody on the same page to you to do your test.

It'd probably be easiest to file from A to B, request a hold with 10 mile legs and request a block altitude in the hold.

Last edited:
Cross country

I did mine when I was already on a IFR cross-country from Fort Myers to Atlanta. Initial altitude was 10k. Asked the controller for 22k, he asked me to repeat it twice, then confirmed type of aircraft twice. Then cleared me.

I've had my 9A up to FL210 twice - but there's nothing left in her to go higher. Anything above 17,000 is just for clearing weather or terrain.

Wow!

I doubt my -9A would get to FL210 (carbureted O-320) but I am CERTAIN that I would freeze up there with my paltry heater output! :D

I've had my 9A up to FL210 twice - but there's nothing left in her to go higher. Anything above 17,000 is just for clearing weather or terrain.

Strictly speaking, you may need the following if you don’t have it:
1. 1090 based adsb-out (not UAT)
2. IFR rated and current
3. FAA medical (not Basic Med)
4. Oxygen mask (not cannula)
5. Current high altitude chart

I know gliders based at Truckee in the Sierras get waivers routinely, so it can be done. Just might want to cover all the bases just in case big brother decides to make an example of you.

An alternative for testing is to go up to 17,500’ on a warm day. It’s not uncommon around here to have density altitudes several thousand feet higher than indicated. Probably not as high as the 10’s service ceiling, but getting there.

Strictly speaking, you may need the following if you don’t have it:
1. 1090 based adsb-out (not UAT)
2. IFR rated and current
3. FAA medical (not Basic Med)
4. Oxygen mask (not cannula)
5. Current high altitude chart

I know gliders based at Truckee in the Sierras get waivers routinely, so it can be done. Just might want to cover all the bases just in case big brother decides to make an example of you.

An alternative for testing is to go up to 17,500’ on a warm day. It’s not uncommon around here to have density altitudes several thousand feet higher than indicated. Probably not as high as the 10’s service ceiling, but getting there.

Whoops -- I completely forgot about the FL 18000MSL alt restriction for BasicMed, which is what I have. Soooo, maybe I'll try and take it up to between 17500 and 17999 and see how she flies.

Last edited:
How high

I took my -10 to 20,800’ DA (FL190) and it was still going. I have an O-540 (carb) so folks with twice the money in their motors should do much higher.

Range, tailwinds and staying above convection are a good reason to go high.

Attachments

• BD4D4A46-AA39-406C-BAEF-1AF47113FBF1.jpeg
    BD4D4A46-AA39-406C-BAEF-1AF47113FBF1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
Back