What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv-7 and RV-8 wingroot fairings

Jimmy Cox

I am looking for a RV-7a to test fit our RV-7 wing root fairing on and see what mods it needs. I am also looking for an RV-8 to model a plug on and make molds for a wing root fairing. I am located in central Texas, and we currently do almost all of Team Rockets Fiberglass work. Also, I will try to answer any fiberglass questions anyone has.

Jimmy Cox
[email protected]

What about the -9?

Jimmy,

Have you given any thought to making a fairing for the -9, not the -9A? Ok, I guess you could make them for the -9A but its guys like me who are going to use a little engine that need all the help we can get.

I plan on fairings for the -9. Just as soon as I get one to do my work on. Pass the word around to flying -9s. Same on the -8s. I don't have one to work on yet.

Jimmy Cox

Fairings

I have a 7A with the wings on-Rear spar drilled. Keep me posted on your progress with the fairings. I'm in GA, so I don't figure I can help you much on the fabrication. If I can, let me know. I am interested in the fairings. If you look at a Swift, the wing roots have to bee much more efficient.

Derrell
[email protected]

Wing fairings-Worth It?

I know of 3 people who have experimented with wing root fairings on their RV have found they added no speed :( , and several have reported gaining speed by removing their custom fiberglass fillet fairing and installing the per plans root fairings. :eek:

One person was Tracy Saylor who has a very fast race proven RV6. Why I don't know, but may be the optimal wing-root fillet fairing has not been made yet, but just making it "swoopy" is not a speed secret. They do look nice though however they require more fasteners both thru wing and also fuselage to mount. The standard flat sheet metal and rubber molding fairing is an easy and clean installation with just a few fasteners. James aircraft use to make them but does not any more by looking at his web site. http://www.jamesaircraft.com/Our_Products.html

I understand aerodynamics as an engineer and have read a few good books that touch on this fairing subject, such as Speed with Economy by Kent Paser, who reported gains on his Mustang II with a modified root fairing. So may be there is something to be gained on a RV? In general intersection or interference drag is always present between the wing and body, especially when not at right angles. It is a little black magic, flight test and computational fluid dynamics to know what is going on. Personally I think unless the looks are important to you, there are areas where you can gain documented speed and efficency, other than a wing root fairing. Otherwise they are cool looking :D

Cheers George

Jimmy Cox said:
I looked at several RVs with different wing root fairings before I started these. I did not like the looks of any I saw and could see that they might not be highly effective. We also do most of Team Rockets fiberglass production and design. ......The long term plan is for these type parts to pay for my RV, so I have a personal interest in them being effective.
The Team-Rocket fiberglass is TOP notch, the best I have seen. Yes, I agree some of the previous attemps wre not very nice looking. I too am looking to improve performance, even 1 kt at a time. Look forward to seeing your products. Keep us informed as what your flight test show and where we can see them. All the best with this effort. Thanks George

Last edited:
I looked at several RVs with different wing root fairings before I started these. I did not like the looks of any I saw and could see that they might not be highly effective. A Swift came by and a Navion sat in the hangar while I modeled these . We also do most of Team Rockets fiberglass production and design. All of this influenced the style and design.
I am also working on a RV wing tip designed and patented by Reg Finch. Wind tunnel test showed improvement at low and high speeds on low aspect wings such as the RV. We are working on other various fairings for RVs too. A knot here and a couple of knots there and soon they add up. The long term plan is for these type parts to pay for my RV, so I have a personal interest in them being effective.

Jimmy Cox

Back