What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage, finishing kit order advise

mc607

Well Known Member
I’m ready to order my fuselage and finishing kit.
1. Any advise on what items you would definitely swap out of the Vans kit for aftermarket?
2. Is the “fwf” included in the finishing kit?
3. What are the big ticket items that I can expect that are not included, to finish the plane. Not referring to 390, prop, avionics, paint or interior.
Thanks

Finishing kit does not include FWF, I don't think seat belts are included. Don't know if you are happy to install the plastic brake lines that are provided with the kit?

Since posting, I found the fwf kit. Sure would be simple if it was on the order form. Will look in to the brake lines and belts.
Thanks Ron. Sent a pm.
Regards,
Todd

Since posting, I found the fwf kit. Sure would be simple if it was on the order form. Will look in to the brake lines and belts.
Thanks Ron. Sent a pm.
Regards,
Todd

Also will need air vent eyeballs. They do not come with the kit.
I also go all of my brake, fuel, and FWF oil lines from Aircraft Specialty.

Last edited:
Pretty much everything comes with the kit(s) that is needed to build the plane but some folks will do some upgrades to other parts. The FFW has all the stuff for the engine installation whereas finishing kit has all the stuff for canopy/wheel pants and other fairing stuff.

Please be aware that VANS has changed its pricing scheme for the deleted item and the credit they give for those items are far less than it use to be and now which makes the upgrades much less attractive or wroth while.

I had a long laundry list of deleted item which I end up revising to keep them due to the credit amount.

Firewall Forward kit options to consider (pros and cons for each - you decide):
- Delete the alternator if you rather have a B&C alternator
- Delete the prop governor if you want to use the PCU-5000 governor
- Delete the oil cooler if you want to use something like the AirFlow Systems X cooler

Carl

Is the UV canopy an option from Vans, or something aftermarket?

I just did this last week for my RV7. It's from Vans. Little more spendy that the standard one, so hopefully it's worth it.

It's not listed as an option on the order form, you have to do it in the adds/deletes notes. The only way I knew about it was from reading threads here on VAF.

Edit- deleted the part numbers previously posted since they were for an Rv7 and this is a RV14 thread

Last edited:
Does the UV canopy have a noticeably darker tint?
Are all canopies the same height or do they make one for taller folk?
Regards,
Todd

Does the UV canopy have a noticeably darker tint?
Are all canopies the same height or do they make one for taller folk?
Regards,
Todd
I do not believe that the UV canopy has a significant amount of tint if any at all.
They only make one size of canopy.

I’m ready to order my fuselage and finishing kit.
1. Any advise on what items you would definitely swap out of the Vans kit for aftermarket?
2. Is the “fwf” included in the finishing kit?
3. What are the big ticket items that I can expect that are not included, to finish the plane. Not referring to 390, prop, avionics, paint or interior.
Thanks

Contact AS Flightlines (TS Flightlines) if you want their FWF kit (highly recommended) and they will give you a list of part numbers for Van's to delete in their kit.
If you want to use a EarthX battery, different alternator, prop governor, spinner etc. Van's will allow you to delete from their kit.

Van's no longer offers the dark tinted canopy option on the 14. Only the standard and UV.

Van's no longer offers the dark tinted canopy option on the 14. Only the standard and UV.

This is correct. I ordered a tinted canopy 2 weeks ago. The cost was $655 over the standard canopy. I asked Barb about tints and she said that the UV and standard canopy are both "tinted" to most allowed by the FAA. So to answer the question, it should not have a higher tint but does provide a much higher UV protection

Eric

I got the SC-15 canopy for my -14 and in 2017 it cost about 300 more. It is worth every penny. I fly in the southernly sun all the time and never get a sunburn and it cuts down on the heat transfer considerably although I have to admit I can't compare directly to the normal canopy. But I'll be getting the SC-15 for my 8 if it is available.

UV Canopy is now standard

I ordered my finish kit a month ago to get in front of the now nine month lead time. I requested the UV Canopy "option" but was told now that it is the standard and no need to specify.

In the meantime I am also trying to figure out the advantages of the B&C alternator over the standard one (if the standard is the Plane Power one I think I want the B&C - I have had nothing but trouble with my certified PP alternator).

I heard the same thing about canopies when I asked about the RV8. UV is standard.

Are alternators part of the Finish Kit? I'd double check that, could be FWF. Either way, the recent general consensus on this forum seems to be that B&C alternators are more reliable and dependable.

If the Finishing kit does not include FWF, why do I have to select an engine when buying the Finishing Kit?
What's included in the Finishing Kit, that's depending on the engine?

Which sections of the build manual are covered by the Finishing Kit?

Malte

If the Finishing kit does not include FWF, why do I have to select an engine when buying the Finishing Kit?
What's included in the Finishing Kit, that's depending on the engine?

Which sections of the build manual are covered by the Finishing Kit?

That's all on page 01-01 of the KAI. The cowling is in the Finish Kit, so that's probably engine dependent as I think they changed the intakes for the EXP engine.

Finish Kit is 38-42, 45, 46. FWF is 43-44, 47-51.

That's all on page 01-01 of the KAI. The cowling is in the Finish Kit, so that's probably engine dependent as I think they changed the intakes for the EXP engine.

Finish Kit is 38-42, 45, 46. FWF is 43-44, 47-51.

The cowl bottom section is different but I don't think it has anything to do with the intake , but certainly different for the exhaust.

Thanks for the hints!

Do you know if the hoses from AS Flightlines are ethanol proof? I want to be sure I will not have a problem here in the future. Any other components that may have problems with ethanol in the fuel? (I am aware of vapor pressure issues).

Malte

Back