What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil leak sources and sealants

cfiidon

Well Known Member
Over the past few years I have noticed a relatively small but pesky amount of oil beginning to accumulate in the lower cowl and drip out of the exhaust opening. Not much, mind you, but a little bit of oil goes a long way.

In late spring I tackled the task of replacing all of my fuel and oil line hoses as they had aged out. The only oil leak I induced during that task was at the bottom of the oil cooler. I disturbed the 45 degree NPT fitting and broke the seal. Loctite 567 on the NPT threads cured that. Major leak cured… on to the smaller annoying ones.

Background: I assembled my ECI XIO-360 from a kit circa 2010 under the supervision of an IA/AP with significant experience. Other than gaskets, the only sealant I remember using is Tite-Seal on any threaded components (where appropriate).

I used a flashlight and black light and found oil drops accumulating on the rear ¼-20 bolts securing the oil sump and some weeping around the ¾ NPT plugs front and rear of the left side. I saw no evidence that it was emanating from any place above that. I drained the oil and removed, cleaned, and reinstalled the NPT plugs with Loctite 567. I removed all seven of the rear oil sump bolts one at a time and did the same. (Proper torque applied)

After a two hour test flight I am pleased to report that there are no oil drips.

I surmise that Tite-Seal works as a suitable sealant but has a life limit. I don’t know enough about Loctite 567.

Does anyone use Loctite 567 on the oil screen cap threads? I usually rely on proper installation of the crush washer but stuff happens.

Yes, after years of occasional oil screen dribbles, I started using just a touch of 567 on the screen threads. No more dribbling. Yes, I do use a new crush washer each time.

Back