What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Layout

YellaDawg

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I have searched but unable to find a suggested layout of firewall equipment such as contactor/relay/fuse block/shunt/manifold/oil and fuel senders etc. Suggestions and or pictures would be helpful.

I followed the Vans FF drawings for the IO engine. Everything fitted close the plans. The only part I had to carefully prototype was the location of the forward mounted battery. I wanted to be able to remove and replace the battery without having to remove too many items on the firewall. Worked out okay.

If I was building my -8 again, oil cooler would go on the left FW or motor mount. My baffle mount is reinforced a lot and so far ok but access to left mag would be easier if cooler was elsewhere. Battery on the right and try to mount it high for access with only upper cowl removed. I have a parallel valve 370 and composite prop so I needed the battery fwd. You will also need a forest of tabs on the FW. I put my BandC volt reg on the rear side of the FW because they said don’t mount in the engine compartment. Think future access for maintenance of everything. Say that again and again as you build and don’t forget it! You will thank me during your first condition inspection.

I followed the Vans FF drawings for the IO engine. Everything fitted close the plans. The only part I had to carefully prototype was the location of the forward mounted battery. I wanted to be able to remove and replace the battery without having to remove too many items on the firewall. Worked out okay.

Thanks, I was concerned with CG and mounted the battery in the back, along with avionics.

CW

If I was building my -8 again, oil cooler would go on the left FW or motor mount. My baffle mount is reinforced a lot and so far ok but access to left mag would be easier if cooler was elsewhere. Battery on the right and try to mount it high for access with only upper cowl removed. I have a parallel valve 370 and composite prop so I needed the battery fwd. You will also need a forest of tabs on the FW. I put my BandC volt reg on the rear side of the FW because they said don’t mount in the engine compartment. Think future access for maintenance of everything. Say that again and again as you build and don’t forget it! You will thank me during your first condition inspection.

Thanks Wild Dog!

Back