What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel aluminum tubing - after or before side-skins?

tsnevo

Hello
First let me thank all the ones answering my previous question. I think I'll go ahead and do the "plumbing" ,myself.
Now the question is about the order of the installation. I figured that if I do it before the side skins (and the rest of the section) are installed I will have better access to the middle of the a/c for getting the tubes in.
But when looking little ahead in the section I see that the GASCOLATOR is supposed to be already located on a structure which implies the skins and other parts (like the rollover) should be there...
What should I do, then?
Again, thanks for reaching out here.
Tsachy.

Vans writes the plans to assemble in order to produce the best result. But----certainly there are instances where if the side skins were off, life would be a bunch easier.

Tom

I clecoed my skins in place and frequently removed them to facilitate system installation. I didn’t pull rivets until the very end when I was convinced everything was installed.

I did mine with sides on and before the bottom and top were on. Fuselage was on a rotating stand and I had turned on the side. Those lines would be a nightmare to fab on a completed fuselage.

Last edited:
i didn't put my skins on until the very end. i was careful about moving fuselege around as i expected it wasn't as rigid without the skin. no comparison how much easier it made so many tasks. and some of them were bad enough without the skin.

I did mine with sides on and before the bottom and top were on. Fuselage was on a rotating stand and I had turned on the side. Those lines would be a nightmare to fab on a completed fuselage.

I did my fuel lines with the side skins on (per KAI order) and don't recall them being in the way at all. I don't really see how they make much difference. I also turned my fuse on it's side for several steps after the skins were on. IMO they are no factor in this context.

Back