What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (7/16-17/2022)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Saturday morning getting ready to do the first flight after annual. Went fine:
IMG_6418-L.jpg

Verifying the buttons do what they are supposed to do (lot of panels open a couple days back) - VNAV armed up for the descent into KXBP:
IMG_6420-L.jpg

On the way back from KXBP fuel run, saw this:
IMG_6422-L.jpg

Ground track:
IMG_6599-L.jpg

Altitude (left) w/GS overlaid (line):
IMG_6600-L.png

Heart rate overlayed (spike in middle the fuel stop):
IMG_6601-L.png

Nerds of the world unite!

Sunday morning this is the forecast, so looking fwd to the -15 high wing shade and some open windows in those -15 doors <g> (we live in Denton county):
IMG_6597-L.jpg

Last edited:
In addition to the Close Call in Marlette (posted elsewhere) I visited my friends at the Canadian Aviation Museum where they revealed the FlightChops RV-14 in its new Yellowbird paint scheme. I got a chance to fly in it again with Steve Thorne as he practiced spot landings in preparation for OSH.
I wanted to share photos but I'll have to wait until after the official reveal at OSH on Monday.
Steve also gave me a ride in the new Patriot Aircraft CX1900 prototype; it will also be making its debut at OSH this year. A very capable STOL aircraft... but it's no RV!
AM-JKLWxNY2mOjRW0wnSVmqaqRvIOopEMlzrL4smeQHBgCD-of30u7EgXqYkbg1YpOFonZT9IXfFbfOR7spvlxadV8SBkLuIwnyj-UtuEu93Q7cBe6HC-EHZJZmQEMqZo21jKwYJPah45evi5JNYCVIkkJXj=w900-h600

Last edited:
The universe has spoken. Time to pull the RV8 out of the corner and back to shop center to toss MY rocket ship into the air!
It is way more complete than it looks here. Every part of the airframe is done and has been on and fitted. Wiring in the bottom of the fuselage just needs a little "updating" after about 10yrs of industry changes. The engine is (still) in house...

i-zCGkdTM-L.png

Last edited:
I did a bunch of flying this weekend, but the biggest part of it was flying chase for a good friend of mine on his first flight of his 9A that he just finished building. I set the hook with Mike Crowley a few years back with a joy ride in mine, and he immediately went out and found a half-built kit in good condition in Houston and took it over - and now he can call 296TX his own.

She flew straight and level, no major squawks other than an incorrect airspeed indication. We flew some loose formation with me calling out airspeeds as he run the power up/down and flaps in/out, then shot an uneventful approach and landing after 1.0 airborne. It's a good day Tater!

Picture is louse with my iPhone, but it's all I could get at the moment. She'll be based at KMDD.

Attachments

• 296TX.jpg
    296TX.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 315
Converted a paper airplane into a real one....

Started my weekend early on Friday. All the paperwork has been in place for a few weeks on my RV-10 for a few weeks.

I got back from transition training with Zach on Thursday. I was as current as I would be.

Went out to the airport. All the things that were open for the airworthiness inspection had been closed and double checked.

Opening anything else would take me backwards.

Wind was down the runway, and the sky was blue but for a few fluffy clouds.

It was time. Obligatory phone call home, and one more RV-10 has taken to the air. She flew straight and true, climbed and ran, as if she had been waiting too long for this day.

The cherry on top was the hanger neighbors who upon seeing me ran out to capture video of what they suspected was my 1st flight.

Derek

Attachments

• 1st Flight.jpg
    1st Flight.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 294
Practice.....

I went out and practiced flying 90 kts at 1800 ft. I tried to land on imaginary dots, too.

Andi gathered camping gear and we found our window sign. Excitement is building......

Picked up the plane last Monday from the painter. Moved the rudder pedals forward a hole, checked all the control surface hardware after getting it back from paint. Rerouted a prop cable and heater line after the pedal move, installed some 3m wear tape and did all the final after paint finish stuff, installed the oxygen bottle, installed the Kroger shade, built up the cross country tool kit, updated the databases, and prepped for Oshkosh. The wife leaves tomorrow morning at 5am with the plane for volunteer week. I get to stay home with an old, sick dog this year.

Everyone should swing by Swinefest Thursday night across from the big red barn and say hi.

Took off from Aerocountry first thing in the morning Friday and made a quick stop up at Sherman for some of the cheap fuel (well, 6.19 cheap...lowest nearby). Headed over to the west side of Ft. Worth. Have a friend that just bought a new-to-him RV6. On the way over, did some additional cruise performance testing on the repitched prop. We were supposed to meet up airborne after his formation flight, but after station holding for a while I didn't see his formation show up. Decided to land at Hicks and see what was up. Turns out he was havening some ignition trouble.

Of course just as I land my phone rang, wife was having car trouble. I didn't have time to help with the ignition right then, had to return to aerocountry so I could get back before my Son needed pickup from day-camp.

While waiting to depart Hicks, the Cessna ahead of me declared an emergency and made a 180 to land. Pilot handled it well and landed with no incident. Looks like the engine was still running (was able to taxi), but I have no details beyond that.

Smooth flight back to aerocountry, picked up my son, and a new $200 battery for the wife's car and everything was back to normal. Helped the friend with the ignition problem via phone/text. Was the rocker switch for the EI going bad. He is back up and running now.

As Vlad hinted above, a few of us invaded his kingdom for a few days, and had a fantastic time… thanks for all Vlad :cool:

Attachments

• 32EED50F-8783-4E35-AF13-37D4081E8FD7.jpg
    32EED50F-8783-4E35-AF13-37D4081E8FD7.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 363
Pancake breakfast 05Y, Henning MN

I'm a little late, but this past Saturday was a great fly-in at a little airport at a town of 700 people. There were about 6 or 7 RV's there, and a total of 45 planes. Sorry I didn't get pictures of the other RV's - my bad.

Currently getting the other RV (travel trailer) ready for the trek to Oshkosh Saturday! Yeah, I know, I should fly the plane there for the big 50th...

Attachments

• IMG_20220716_083918830_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220716_083918830_HDR.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20220716_085428682_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220716_085428682_HDR.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 93
Back