What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Galling

mulde35d

Well Known Member
Friend
Vent session ahead.

I was taking my time and being careful on the RV-10 fuel tanks since I know that a small misstep can cause serious pain and labor later. Left tank came out great. Right tank is near completion. Just before installing the rear baffle I installed the plug for the currently unused fuel return flange that I installed. Applied locktite 567 liberally to both the plug and flange. Backed the plug out a half turn any time I felt resistance. Finally during the last turn the torque was almost at 120 in/lbs and I pushed through a tiny bit of resistance when I felt the galling. Tried to unscrew it a little to relube the threads and it didn't want to budge.

Used a lot of force to unscrew it as a galled NPT fitting likely won't seal and definitely wont work if I end up installing a return line later and sure enough, strips the threads on both the plug and flange.

Luckily the Baffle is not yet installed, but the VA-141 flange is on backorder. Looks like I will have my right fuel tank sitting open for a while longer. Who knows how long the flange is on backorder for. Frustrating and nobody to blame but myself. At least I should be happy it is only a $40 mistake and fixable since the rear baffle was not yet installed.

Attachments

• Fuel Tank 44.jpg
    Fuel Tank 44.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 259
  • Fuel Tank 43.jpg
    Fuel Tank 43.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 289
Got a picture of the flange or dimensions? I have some old, not RV10 tanks. If I can find the needed part on them, I can drill it out and send it to you.

Last edited:
Let me know if the B/O is months. I can make you a flange. Have a lathe and mill and always looking for a project to make a couple dollars. Probably couldn't do it for $40 bucks as the cost of metal, especially in small lots, has gotten insane.

Larry

Retap apply grease liberally, tap 1/4 turn clean, degrease several times,then go find a brass plug, face plug, pipe thread dope with Teflon, don’t put dope on first two threads, screw in two threads then apply pipe dope.

Keith Rhea

Clean up

Retap apply grease liberally, tap 1/4 turn clean, degrease several times,then go find a brass plug, face plug, pipe thread dope with Teflon, don’t put dope on first two threads, screw in two threads then apply pipe dope.

Keith Rhea

Found a 3/8" NPT tap in my drawer and tried to clean up the threads. Here is what I have. Debating on re-installing and using a brass plug as you recommended or waiting for a new one. The chip out of the thread is my only real concern. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Fuel Tank 45.jpg
    Fuel Tank 45.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Fuel Tank 46.jpg
    Fuel Tank 46.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 271
I have an extra drain bung fitting for an rv -6 tank it’s new. You can have if it will work for you. Not sure if it’s drilled or not. I’ll check today when I go to the airport.

RD

Jon,
I may have one in my hangar also. If RD doesn't find one send me a pm. I will look today to make sure. You can replace it when yours comes in.
Bill

Appreciate the offers for help. I have plenty of other stuff to do and the tanks sitting open won’t hurt anything. I was considering re-using the old one that I tapped, but a friend reminded me that if the chip did leak and the baffle were installed then it would be a real mess. Might as well wait for a new one.

If someone has a VA141 they don’t plan to use I will gladly buy it, otherwise waiting for one from the mothership will be fine.

A thread is just an incline, lots of incline before and after chunk to seal. 50 years hvac. Service and that includes pipe threads, steel, brass, aluminum into pot metal gas valves, natural gas, lp gas, refrigerants too.

Back