What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IPAD MINI OR Nexus tablet

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello Gents

I'm thinking about installing an IPAD Mini in my -4 so that I can used Foreflight for IFR Charts but as you know the -4 cockpit is very bright and the IPAD is not the best when it is very bright

So I'm thinking about another solution and would like to know if anyone here is using a Nexus ( Android) tablet with Foreflight ( I think Foreflight is compatible)in their RV and what is your experience with them??

Also if yes, what model are you using ??

Thank you for your time

Bruno

Thanks Dave

I guess it solve the problem. If I go with Foreflight it will have to be with an IPAD...

Is Garmin Pilot the same??

Bruno

The current iPads run anywhere from 500-600 nits brightness. The Mini-6 is 500 nits, the iPad Pros are brighter. I use an iPad Pro 11 inch (600 nits) in my RV-9A, suction-cup RAM mount. Brightness has never been a problem.

I've tried to use an iPad Mini on a kneeboard and have a Mini 6 still in box, but I've found that to be too small for my taste. I really like the iPad Pros, but you may not have room on your panel.

I've been flying with iPad mini's running ForeFlight for many years in my two RV-8s. I currently use an iPad mini 6. It's not perfect, but Im quite happy with it. In-flight I use FF to swap flight plans with the SkyView Touch via Wi-Fi, and use other features of FF and the iPad mini.

The iPhone 11 Pro pic below was taken with the 0.5X lens, which distorts the size of objects on the periphery. The GDL 50 ADS-B IN (w/AHRS) on the glareshield is hardwired to the Garmin Aera 660 and BT'd to the iPad/FF, providing traffic, weather, and attitude to both units.

i-VrN7cvM-L.jpg

Last edited:
I use a Nexus7/AVARE

I don't fly IFR, but I use a Nexus7 with AVARE (free) and have no issues with visibility. I have mine either laying on my thigh, or a simple knee pad if bumpy. The screen is easy to read even on bright days. I don't know if AVARE has any IFR features since I only use the simple GPS/VFR charts.

Thanks Dave

I guess it solve the problem. If I go with Foreflight it will have to be with an IPAD...

Is Garmin Pilot the same??

Bruno

GarminPilot is available on both iOS and Android platforms. However, in the past, the Android version was always lagged a bit behind the iOS version in terms of features. Not sure why or if that's no longer an issue.

iPad mini on a ball mount

I use the mini-4 in my RV3 and there are certainly times when the Sun’s angle make it hard to read. BUT, I have it on a ball mount, so changing the angle even slightly solves any glare issues. The mini/FF combination is a great setup, IMO.

Another factor to consider is overheating. I use an ipad mini 5 on a knee board. Even then it will overheat occassionally.

I've used a Nexus 7 with FltPlanGo for almost 10 years. It's the best bang-for-the-buck setup.

I use the mini-4 in my RV3 and there are certainly times when the Sun’s angle make it hard to read. BUT, I have it on a ball mount, so changing the angle even slightly solves any glare issues. The mini/FF combination is a great setup, IMO.

Often IMHO the bigger problem is glare from the very shiny screen surface and I’ve found that a non-glare screen protector makes a big difference in readability in a bright cockpit

Another vote for the iPad, was running a mini 4 for a few years. I've had the Pro as well but the large size was a bit much for the RV-6 and not really needed. I'll admit no tablet is as bright and clear as say a Garmin 660, or iFly GPS, but they have a bit richer feature set that I find very valuable.

Current setup is a new Mini 6 which is brighter that the old 4, has a bit more screen which is actually noticeable and I can use the Apple Pencil, which in my mind is a GREAT addition to the cockpit. Pencil allows instant notes to be taken right on the map page without touching anything, just start writing. I added a glare reducing screen protector I picked up from Amazon for under $15, this helped a lot, also have it mounted on a RAM ball mount.

Hello Gents

Thank you all for your replies, it is appreciated.

The reason for the IPAD/TABLET is to display primarily the approach plates when required and also to have Foreflight features available.

I already have a G-796 with the Approach plates in the aircraft which I used in a landscape mode due to space constrain but don't like to view plates this way..

The IFLYGPS will be nice but is little too much money for the use I'm planning.

A Nexus tablet with Garmin Pilot might work well or FltPlanGo ( Will have to get use to it first )

Next will be to find a good used Mini or Nexus ;-)

Bruno

Nexus 7 with iFlyGPS

Not flying nearly enough x-contry, but been happy with the Nexus 7 with iFly GPS software. (Using Dual170 for GPS, traffic and weather input).

Of course as I write this, I've broken the Nexus 7 touch screen while having it exposed to breaking forces in a backpack. $22 replacement on order.

Finn

Attachments

• Nexus7.jpg
    Nexus7.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 105
I've used a Nexus 7 with FltPlanGo for almost 10 years. It's the best bang-for-the-buck setup.
I also have used the FREE FltPlanGo for 9+ years but with a SAMSUNG S2 Mini instead of the Nexus 7. Super bright, even in the bright Florida sunlight, and has NEVER shut down due to overheating.

2021 Panel.jpg

Do you have a method for mounting your tripltek? I didn't see anything on the Tripltek web site.

I don't have it yet, but will buy one when the airplane is closer to completion. I'll make a panel mount for it.

The primary market for the Tripltek is drone fliers (I hesitate to use pilot for them) - watching video in full daylight. IIRC, it has 1100 - 1200 nits.

Back