What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EFII problem. Help.

Floog

Ref: RV-6A, IO360 angle valve

While testing the operation of both ECU's:

Engine starts and idles smoothly on ECU1. After selecting ECU2, engine runs rough at a much slower idle. Switching back to ECU1 restores smooth operation. During flight at higher RPM, engine runs beautifully on either ECU.
Manifold pressure sensors have both been checked/switched etc. Even replaced ECU2 manifold pressure sensor to no avail. Any ideas/solutions would be appreciated! Incidentally, Robert was no help....

Ref: RV-6A, IO360 angle valve

While testing the operation of both ECU's:

Engine starts and idles smoothly on ECU1. After selecting ECU2, engine runs rough at a much slower idle. Switching back to ECU1 restores smooth operation. During flight at higher RPM, engine runs beautifully on either ECU.
Manifold pressure sensors have both been checked/switched etc. Even replaced ECU2 manifold pressure sensor to no avail. Any ideas/solutions would be appreciated! Incidentally, Robert was no help....

Have you updated both ECUs to the same base version? Have you checked the warmup enrichment on start up? It is only valid on the #1 ECU, and only applies until the engine reaches a preset temp. Switching to the #2 while the #1 is in WE will make a difference.

I have never had an issue with getting help or answering questions…

I was going to say warmup enrichment also. Also check that both ECUs have the same mixture/timing map loaded.

Legacy EFI with SDS ECUs or System 32?

If it’s legacy EFII with SDS EM-5 ECUs, reading the SDS install manual may be helpful. Search for “EM-5 Aero Installation/ Tuning” PDF at http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html

Be aware however that SDS advises “SDS EFI and EFII EFI are wired differently, especially in the case of dual ECUs”, despite the fact EFII used SDS ECUs prior to the release of the EFII System 32 ECU in 2019.

Have you updated both ECUs to the same base version? snip
I never tried switching ECU's after start or idle.
I only test #2 during run-up at 1500 RPM by grounding #1 or switching from #1 to #2, then back and all is fine.
How would one check/update ECU version ?
I presume donwloading (from where?) then via the SD card slot on the Controller?

You say that you have checked/replaced the MAP sensor... Do they both read the same on the display with the engine running?

EFII problem

Hi Doug:

As has been stated, if you are happy with how the engine is running on #1 ECM ensure #2 ECM has all the same settings. Fuel map, warm up map, timing map etc. Check them all.

Terry

On my SDS EFII setup, (6 cylinder version), the ECU select switch only defines which ECU is controlling the fuel injectors. With ECU in "Both" position, the injector control is shared by both ECU's, (3 injectors each)

I have a seperate switch for each coil pack.

During run up, I cycle each coil on-off, looking for RPM drop and then cycle between ECU "Both" to "ECU1" and then "ECU 2" to ensure all is running fine. (I like doing this check at lower RPM as it seems to jolt the engine a bit)

This allows checking of each Coil pack and each ECU separately.

I do NOT think you can swap the ECU 1\2 cable for trouble shooting as these also have hall sensor timing values associated with them....?

If you cycle through Gauge 1, 2, 3,4 for both ECU1 and ECU 2 on the ECU controller, it will alert you to any sensor malfunction.

Back