What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Artex ELT issue with G3X

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hey all-

Just wanted to post this as a public service announcement in case anybody is ELT shopping. Maybe common knowledge, but I din't know until I did some research.

I was looking at two different ELT's; The Artex 345 and the Ack E-04.

The Ack is about $100 cheaper at Spruce, but it takes two strange size batteries for the remote and buzzer in addition to the main battery. Also, the main battery is only good for 5 years.

The Artex has a 6 year main battery, no additional batteries to deal with, so I went with the Artex.

Also, the Artex manual shows that it will receive GPS data at either Aviation Format data at 9600 baud or 4800 baud NMEA data.

post install opps check revealed an error code for no GPS input data.

In my setup, GPS data is coming to the unit via the RS-232 from the GDU-460 pfd.

A little research shows that the GDU-460 sends NMEA data, while the garmin navigators send Aviation format.

I thought that it would be simple to set the Artex for the right input source, but it turns out that the ones that Spruce sell are programmed for Aviation Format, and that the selection of data input type is not user configurable.

It has to be sent to an Artex dealer for programing to change the data type if you want it to talk to the GDU-460.

overall, it's not really that big a deal, just an annoyance, but I wanted to throw it out here so people could factor it into their decision if they're shopping ELT's.

I think I would still have gone with the Artex due to the battery simplicity I already mentioned, but it would have been nice to have a heads up!

Yeah pretty key that the elt is talkings to the right language. I had to send mine back to Artex to get it fixed too. Moral of the story is, good ELT, but call someone knowledgeable prior to ordering yours

Yeah pretty key that the elt is talkings to the right language. I had to send mine back to Artex to get it fixed too. Moral of the story is, good ELT, but call someone knowledgeable prior to ordering yours

where did you send it. I've only done a quick google search, but so far it looks like the closest dealers are in Dallas or Mena. I'm having trouble believing there isn't one in KS.

Garmin navigator

If you also have a Garmin navigator in the panel, most will put out aviation format data.

I originally had my dat from my GDU460, but had to change data source to GTX375 to get aviation format. Just a little rewiring, Ground test shown all working.

Self test

How do you ground test for GPS position on a Artex 345?

The ELT does a self test when the test mode is activated. It checks for a valid GPS position. Also, the self test can be extended to include a 121.5 khz transmission. ( needs to be done at proper time and with notification of local ATC)

No error lights and ELT broadcast on 121.5 and all is good.

The ELT does a self test when the test mode is activated. It checks for a valid GPS position. Also, the self test can be extended to include a 121.5 khz transmission. ( needs to be done at proper time and with notification of local ATC)

No error lights and ELT broadcast on 121.5 and all is good.
So I guess we need to look at the LED on the unit itself, right? My Artex in my RV7 had a LED on the switch that was installed in the panel and that would show the error. The Artex 345 does not have that LED anymore.

where did you send it. I've only done a quick google search, but so far it looks like the closest dealers are in Dallas or Mena. I'm having trouble believing there isn't one in KS.

Had the same issue ... sent it to Pacific Coast Avionics in Oregon -- super fast service at a good price. The other avionics shops listed on the Artex page service big turbine-class planes, and they wanted big bucks (200-300) to mod. I think Pacific Coast charged me less than 40.

I called and spoke directly with Artex in FL. Ended up shipping to them to reprogram. Mehrdad, when you test the Artex 345 it give a number of audible tones that mean different things.

As PilotjohnS posted, I connected mine to my GTN650xi and the output format was selectable without any reprogramming of my Artex 345.

The guys in Dallas quoted me $250. I'm going to dig into the connectors and rewire it to my garmin Navigator.

The end is in sight for wiring, and I'm ready to move on to something else.

Whoever asked about how you test it; When you bump it to the test setting, either on the ELT or on the remote switch, you get a series of beeps from the buzzer, and corresponding flashes from the LEDs on the ELT and the remote switch. There's a chart in the manual that tells you what they mean.

Back