What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel cap options

Fuel caps

Buy 3 new fuel caps from Vans and paint them to match your wings or polish them and send them off for engraving. Mine are painted like the wing and they look fine and work well. Carry the spare in your traveling tool bag.

The new plastic caps that Van's now uses can be opened with a finger.

For me however I hate them. They look cheap, can't be polished and I had one fail on me when ferrying an RV-14A. But I have them on my new RV-10 project as the tank holes came enlarged to fit these caps, removing the option to use the old style Usher caps.

Carl

I had Aerosport Products make me an aluminum set for my RV8, the parts they make are the top and tab the plastic internals are reused. I had them engrave RV8 and 21 gallons .

The Aerosport aluminum replacement parts are nice - but way too pricey for me. I’ll live with the plastic.

Carl

If the plastic ones you speak of are the ones that come on the 10, I can’t get those open with a finger either, I could mod them I guess, are they compatible with the existing filler neck?

Are there any options that your finger actually fit in? Or that you don’t need a key/ tool for?

Properly adjusted, they will open just fine with a finger tip.

Make sure your O rings are in good shape and can slide easy on the taper as the cap tab is open and closed. If you can't open it with a finger tip, it is adjusted too tight or (and) the O ring is not sliding as it expands when you flip the tab down.

Adjusted too tight will cause extra strain on the hinge pin and it will fail.

What Larry said, I have had these on both RVs I have owned, they are much better than the original Usher caps. The bushings install with Proseal, needs 24 hours to cure properly before flying. Installation is straight forward.

Back