What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Power

asw20c

Well Known Member
If this has already been discussed, my apologies. I'm planning to make full use of Vertical Power's Primary Power System (PPS) and Electronic Circuit breakers (VP-X). I'm installing the canopy now, so I'm not far off from installing the engine mount, and thinking ahead I want to make sure that I don't box myself into a corner later on when it comes time to install the PPS. There are four nutplates and a doubler that I already installed on the firewall for the solenoids, contactors and relays which the PPS replaces. Has anyone else used the PPS, and if so where did you mount it, and what did you have to do differently than what is in the plans for the traditional components? In other words, I need to know where to put it so I don't have interference issues later when installing the engine and nose gear, and did you have to plug any of the solenoid mounting bolt holes?

For whatever it is worth. The VPX <6 months has been great.

My PPS has already failed in the open (starting position). Yes, we put in the correct alternator and regulator.

Expensive part to have already failed. Pretty disappointing.

I just finished wiring my VPX and PPS in my RV7. I would suggest you need to place all the other big stuff before you worry about the PPS as it is relatively small and flat. Make sure you have room for the big stuff like oil coolers, and battery first. The RV7 is rather limited in space between firewall and engine. Those big items could really only go in one place for me...all the other stuff had to yield to them.

Installed that setup after the fact in RV8A we built. PPS went flat against firewall. VP-X went in forward baggage compartment. Well along on 14A build and intend to use the same system. Given the significant difference in available real-estate, I don't see any problem at all with waiting to decide where to put it.

PPS in -14A

If this has already been discussed, my apologies. I'm planning to make full use of Vertical Power's Primary Power System (PPS) and Electronic Circuit breakers (VP-X). I'm installing the canopy now, so I'm not far off from installing the engine mount, and thinking ahead I want to make sure that I don't box myself into a corner later on when it comes time to install the PPS. There are four nutplates and a doubler that I already installed on the firewall for the solenoids, contactors and relays which the PPS replaces. Has anyone else used the PPS, and if so where did you mount it, and what did you have to do differently than what is in the plans for the traditional components? In other words, I need to know where to put it so I don't have interference issues later when installing the engine and nose gear, and did you have to plug any of the solenoid mounting bolt holes?

I had the same questions. I mounted mine where the stock solenoids, etc mount. But, I built a support for the PPS so I could use the stock nut plates.

PPS Mounted on Firewall.jpg

PPS Mounting Plate Rear.jpg

PPS Clearance to Engine Mount.jpg

Originally, I placed it on the sub panel. Not recommended by VP. So, I moved him to firewall, but the horizontal orientation wouldn't work. So, an angular orientation was finally found where it clears the engine mount and everything else. My advice, put the engine mount on first so you can see exactly where it should go. Clearances are tight as you can see.

I used 0.063" AL to make the riser. It is stiff enough to resist bending with the edges bent on a brake.

Attachments

• PPS mount on Firewall.jpg
    PPS mount on Firewall.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 238
  • PPS mount closeup.jpg
    PPS mount closeup.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 184
  • PPS Installed.jpg
    PPS Installed.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
Wow!

For whatever it is worth. The VPX <6 months has been great.

My PPS has already failed in the open (starting position). Yes, we put in the correct alternator and regulator.

Expensive part to have already failed. Pretty disappointing.

What did VP say about that?

Great stuff

I have the VPX and PPS in my 7. I mounted it on standoff's just below the battery box, right side of FW. Perfect for the wire runs to the battery, alt and starter.

200+ hours and is working perfectly.

Regarding the VPX, make sure to take advantage of features. 1) If using LED landing and taxi lights, wire them together. Can't have too much light on the ground or in the air. In the VPX, set the lights up for airspeed trigger from full on to wig wag. I used 100 knots. 2) Set up the trim for reduced speed above a given airspeed. Make trimming at high speeds much easier.

Great stuff, good luck.

Also set up the VPX flaps in position mode. It allows you to set 3 stops on the way down and use an intermittent down with the flap switch and it will stop when it reaches the next stop position. You can use a intermittent up on the flap position and they go all the way up. Great feature.

Not to raise a stink but I recommend that you gentlemen review the installation guide for the VPX. It specifically states that the VPX should be mounted internally and away from heat and not on the firewall. Section 5.2

I think the only question here was where to mount the PPS (Primary Power System), not the VP-X. I believe that the PPS is designed for firewall mounting.

We sent the PPS back to Vertical Power. They confirmed there was an internal short in the PPS

I have already replaced it with an old fashioned power relay and starter relay.

PPS was helpful and they are going to refund my purchase price.

We sent the PPS back to Vertical Power. They confirmed there was an internal short in the PPS

I have already replaced it with an old fashioned power relay and starter relay.

PPS was helpful and they are going to refund my purchase price.

Things fail, even traditional relays, you just got the luck of the draw on the PPS ... stinks :(

PPS mount option

This worked good for me.

Attachments

• EF9A0818-59C2-47AA-9082-EDFC59BBDE2E.jpeg
    EF9A0818-59C2-47AA-9082-EDFC59BBDE2E.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 181
VPX and Chad rock!

Installed VPX Pro in my -7, no PPS because already installed traditional contractors. There was, and still may be, an optional mounting kit for VPX box…. not advertised. A dovetailed rail on one side and large wing nuts on the other. If you ever need to remove the VPX for any reason, unplug harnesses, twist wing nuts and it’s out! Locate VPX low in sub panel for easiest access. BTW…can’t say enough good things about Chad Jensen. Super helpful, very patient as I learned, and a true gentleman! Thankful for him as much as the magical red box!

Thanks for the kudos Sean!

I try to check in here as often as I can, but it's been SO busy I miss some of the VP threads from time to time.

See you all at Oshkosh!:cool:

Back