What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimple Dies - Which ones???

dstates

Well Known Member
So as I'm getting ready for my first kit to show up next month I'm in "procuring tools" mode. I have most of my decisions made except for dimple dies. I'm getting lost in the myriad of options. Each tool vendor has so many options to choose from. Are there differences with one being $42 and another $20? What should I be looking for?

Also, some are titled 'spring back' do those have a different geometry? Are they better in some instances and worse in others?

Thanks in advance!
Doug

Spring Backs

My experience was that Cleavland Tools 'Springback' dies make a real difference. Dimples are more crisp and very little residual surface distortion. Apparently other manufacturers use the same name without the same quality.

Go with Cleveland Tool. They are a great resource when starting out. Quality tools. Get their main squeeze too. Eventually you will look elsewhere but Cleveland is a sure bet for new builders.

I bought some used tools from a previous RV builder that included all dimple dies. After doing the VS, I noticed all my dimples using the DRDT-2 had the extra "dishing" indicative of underformed rivets. I bought a set of Cleaveland dimple dies and never saw the problem again.

I admit, I'm a new, first time builder and may not have had the DRDT-2 set up properly initially, but I don't recall doing anything differently. Just a different dimple die.

Some facts of life to ponder

I bought a Cleveland die recently and had a question regarding the fit of my number 8 flat head screws. They had Bob Avery call me because that was where the die came from.

Bob was so helpful and so generous he made a special die to solve my problem and included a replacement standard die in case the one I got from Cleveland was incorrect in any way.

Turns out, my problem was my bad for getting 120 degree screws instead of 100 degree. Read the fine print when ordering.

So my only point is, don’t assume every die shipped from Cleveland is made by Cleveland.

Cleaveland here. And I have several sets…some cheaper ones to grind on from others….testing showed me plain and simple that Cleaveland dies do the best dimples

I am confused at all of the different dies and sets. I am getting a Main Squeeze primarily for flush nutplates as I am building a Zenith that is almost all pull rivets and AN bolts.

From what I understand, for example a 3/32 flush rivet will need a 3/32 dimple die set (two pieces of metal) and two flat squeezer sets (also two pieces of metal, not 4), a set in the latter case being one thing that "sets" rivets. Cleaveland has several and I'm not clear on which is needed for what.

Back