What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing protective Film on Skins

I have searched the forum and seems not much useful info on removing firmly stuck film on the skin. I recently purchased an RV8 kit partially completed from a deceased estate, the film had been on for 10 yrs plus, some of the lower film came of with a bit of heat from hot gun and scratch and roll, but the upper film was welded on! Heat ,scratching and sore fingernails, not good. I had some acrylic thinners on hand, I placed a cotton tee shirt over the film and wet it up very wet. Then sat a piece of aluminium on the tee shirt to stop evaporation, 12 hours later, the film all peeled straight off. Amazing 😁. Remember safety when using this method, no mobile phones, battery drills ignition sources, lock up you hangar…. Make sure you quickly wipe away the glue as it will dry and reset👍

Attachments

• 652994D4-8A61-4495-8E8F-3D6FC7633F2A.jpg
    652994D4-8A61-4495-8E8F-3D6FC7633F2A.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 139
  • EC171448-26F3-4F3B-B333-25564482D361.jpg
    EC171448-26F3-4F3B-B333-25564482D361.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 119
If you leave the parts in sunlight, that is usually enough heat to loosen up the blue plastic.
I used a dowel, broom handle or small diameter PVC pipe to roll the plastic off the part and onto the dowel. When done, use a utility knife to cut the plastic off the dowel.

That film looks nasty. I'm curious what causes it to get stuck so bad. It seems like age alone isn't the sole factor, some older kits still peel easy, some are awful like this. Did I hear a rumor that UV exposure could be the difference? I have parts on a shelf that might be there for a while before I get to them, and there are windows in that building. I might be raiding the woodpile to make shutters next week.

Scott

This kit was in a shed, mid summer 40 deg C only the top skins and the rudder verticals were like impossible to get of before the thinners, under side was not to bad ,so it’s problematic heat and time related?

UV

I had some flat sheet that was exposed to UV and it was impossible to get the film off because it had gone all brittle and the adhesive was fused on. I tried heat, scraping, solvents, but did not think of soaking and ended up having to throw away some of the sheet.
I wonder if a less volatile solvent e.g. turpentine would work if it was left to soak for some time?

Paul

The skin lifts of it appears the glue has dissolved not the skin. You could try any solvent of coarse if it does not work you know Acrylic thinners does,Warning do not put this anywhere near your Canopy!

Back