What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back Rivet Plate Question

jonbo

Hi! I found a cheap steel plate at lowes 4" x 16" x 1/4" same size as the back rivet plate sold by some aircraft tool suppliers.
Would steel like this be suitable to use as backrivet plate?

Steel

Hi! I found a cheap steel plate at lowes 4" x 16" x 1/4" same size as the back rivet plate sold by some aircraft tool suppliers.
Would steel like this be suitable to use as backrivet plate?

It's just a plate so what matters is it's flat and heavy. That should work fine but check for flatness with a straight edge. It doesn't have to be close tolerance but you don't want an obvious warp.
You may want to check local metal supply for cold rolled steel. Might be cheaper.
Also consider chamfering the edges so it wont scratch.

Thank you! Awesome advice.
I looked into it and there's a few steel distributors / recycling places near me.
I'm going to check those out when they open tomorrow.

Also check surface finish. You want a very smooth surface - any imperfections will be transferred to the rivet head. Often a ground surface is what you want, but if you get a non-ground surface that's equally smooth, that's fine.

Dave

Hard, flat, and heavy? Sounds like a back rivet plate. Mine's a chunk of cutoff scrap from the remnant room, 1/2" thick by 8 by 20 or so. I grabbed a cheap set of angle grinder grind/polish wheels from HF to make one side pretty. It works great. Only thing I'd do different now is get cold rolled instead of hot rolled, because hot comes with a lot of mill scale.

I got a rusty scrap piece of 1/4 or 3/8, cant remember for sure. Then I used my belt sander on it. After it was good and flat, I used my orbital sander at I think 220g, then maybe 400g. It worked great and was free.

a backrivet plate also makes a great pizza stone in a grill.

I've got a nice self-made (not by me) one that works well for backriveting and pizza.
As mentioned above a smooth surface is key since any reamaining structure will be imprinted in the rivet-head and possibly in the skin right around the rivet too (edit: Dave and others already mentioned that, my 0.002 chent contribution is just about the pizza then)

Last edited:
Back