What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Overdid it - Edge Break

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
I use the Cleaveland vice grip tool for breaking overlapping skin edges. It’s always worked great, but a long day in the shop led to user error today. I must have over tightened it, because I ended up with a pretty obvious line along the break. I know I’ve seen painted RVs where you can see that break line, and I really don’t want that. Is there anything I should do prior to riveting to try to minimize it, or is just feathering the line with some sandpaper prior to painting the way to go?

One thing I wouldn't do is to try and undo it by reversing the bend because then it goes wavy and looks even worse than a consistent break!
There's a fine line, so to speak, between just right and too much (or not enough). A bit "too much" is probably better than "not enough" and the gap that appears after riveting.
Mistakes seem to look worse on bare shiny skin and when it's painted it will be less noticeable. ;)

Place the skin with the over-bent-edge on a FLAT surface. Using a large diameter wooden dowel rod, run the dowel rod down the edge (like the motion of using a draw knife) to slightly flatten the edge.

Back